HC/F1 In Austin 11/18/2012

Absorbine_Sr

I think we'll have plenty of room...

Fitz, I'm not sure what to recommend, but I think San Marcos would be a possibility. It's between here and San Antonio. I think you might have a hard time finding something. On the North side there is Georgetown and Salado. Try those three, and report back I guess and we can go from there!

I am becoming very tempted however to sell my race tickets because of the asshattedness that the race promoters are currently pulling. Long after the race tickets went on sale (at large price points) they announced parking prices - $200 for all three days. Highway robbery. Today they post the items that will be prohibited from the track - coolers, beverages, food, cameras with lenses longer than 10" and no video devices. Which could mean every fucking smart phone in existence today. And most of it is just to force people to pay their exorbitant prices for food, drink and beer. To say I am pissed is an understatement.

Yeah, that is quite a load of shit. It's not a small, enclosed arena, it's a race track for crying out loud. It sounds like they're doing the equivalent of prohibiting tailgating at a football game. And $200 for parking? That's completely insane. As much as I've been a fan of F1 since I was a kid, I hope this race fails miserably from an attendance standpoint, just so that they don't think that they can get away with crap like that.

Marc, can we get a little more concrete on the plan? Sorry to nag, but I'd like to figure out if there are accommodations anywhere close and I am not sure how many people are coming and how many you can reasonably handle, etc. At one point you were thinking your wife and kids would stay elsewhere, but I am not sure if that is the plan at this point. I would assume that will dictate how many you can sleep -- especially those who might need their own room like Shelly or Mike & Debbie -- but it will also dictate to some extent what kind of nonsense will be tolerated if civilians are present. evil.gif Also, can you send me your address by PM, and any hotels/motels you know of that are close, so I can make a futile attempt to find extra accommodations?

To nail down the numbers, everyone who is planning/hoping to attend should speak up now and I will update this post with a list of attendees. Indicate if you are planning on staying at Marc's, whether you have another alternative, or whether you want another alternative. Here's a start from what I can tell so far:

Definite to Mostly Definite

Marc -- staying at Marc's

Steve Tice -- staying at Marc's

Mike & Debbie -- staying at Marc's (need a room)

Shelly -- staying at Marc's (needs a room) or a hotel

Fitz -- staying at Marc's or hotel if his boyfriend attends (so precious angel.gif )

Naaman -- staying at Marc's

Al -- staying at hotel or Marc's if not available

JP -- staying at hotel or Marc's if not available

Mikey -- staying at hotel or Marc's if not available

Ken -- staying at Marc's

Grahame & Joanne -- staying at hotel or Marc's if not available

Definite Maybe

Jeff (VPI) -- assuming conflict goes away

Alex

Mike (Tyrion)

Gene

Monsieurguzel

Tyler (I'll believe it when I see it)

Chris (Dreadhead)

Scott (Manaox)

Vicki

Jacob

Jeff (Emelius)

Albert (Mr. Slacker)

Jim

Raffy

Gear, beer, and booze lists to follow, as applicable. afro.gif

Edited by Voltron

Al, thanks for attempting to get things concrete. Back in the dim distant past when this meet was floated, accommodation in terms of availability and rates seemed do-able. Last time I checked pricing and availability was limited. Pricing "Predatory". Any outside the box thinking / House rental / large suites / RV's / houseboats / trailers that would work as alternative accommodation for our group?

It would be great to meet the HC clan again. can we make this work?

Marc needs to chime in on current house space but he has said previously that he has 5 bedrooms plus lots of living space assuming the family is elsewhere. The numbers do not seem high -- especially if people saying that they are out at this pace! :indra: -- so I think we can probably make it work at Marc's. If needed, maybe we could pitch a couple of pup tents in the back yard (and I am not referring to the TICE in shorts here) or an RV parked in front.

I usually get out once a year. I've racked up three travel team meets so far. Seeing that it's become a one income household since I got back from NY, this one's out for me. I hate it, since I was going to try to see some family out in Abilene, too :(

Dammit, Colin!

You kids have fun! (Oh, can people not be shuttled to the race for nigh upon free? I know Mike can handle a little walk if need be :)

**BRENT**

Edited by MexicanDragon

Let me just chime in and say that I'll find accommodations in A) Garage cool.png Tent in back yard C) My SUV. I need to put some distance between myself and others at night, as those that had to listen to my snoring at MOA can attest to. So I will not need a room.

Happy to purchase tent/airbed, whatever.

Also, I can fit 5 regular adults and two more smaller/limber people scrunched into the childs third row seat. And am available for taxi/shuttle service for all attendees. So if you find a room a bit farther away than you hoped, don't sweat it, we'll get you back and forth.

Dinny, are you sure this is not needed as a sanity trip? You guys are dropping like flies! :(

Edited by swt61

Dinny, are you sure this is not needed as a sanity trip? You guys are dropping like flies! sad.png

Yep, I'd encourage this too. But you alone know the situation. It'd just be good to have some Monkey time. Oh, and I did get you 24th spot on the grid for the F1 race..... :)

Debbie and I are both in of course. We have tickets for all three days of the race and will probably be at the track from about 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We'll try to retain enough stamina to party in the evenings.

We are driving, so we can bring 2 queen size air beds. And other things (beer).

Will be driving and need either a hotel room or my own room. Will bring beer and other desired spirits. I already have a few limited edition Texas beers saved up for the trip: St Arnold Pumpkinator (a delicious Pumpkin stout), Jester King Beer Geek Rodeo, Weasel Rodeo, Boxer's Revenge. Also, some nice non-limited edition beers from TX and other various good beers.

As of today, I'm out. I took my 14 year old cat to the emergency vet this morning. It looks like he has lymphoma or a blood related cancer. I've already spent just under $840 and I'll be spending more. That does in all my "Austin money". I just hope that he has something treatable. I'll know more tomorrow or Monday.

Edited by guzziguy