HC/F1 In Austin 11/18/2012

Absorbine_Sr

I guess they didn't because they didn't know for sure how much would the softer and hard tires last. Starting with the soft ones provided good grip at the race start and they just needed to see how was the times progression on their car and on the rivals' to decide when to swap. It's surprising Hamilton managed to make the soft tires last more than any other car in the first stint. Perez assumed the risk to make them last a couple of turns more than Hamilton did.

OTOH they say Alonso's Ferrari got damaged in the rear part, mechanically and aerodynamically after the incident with Vettel, when he got pushed outside the track. Maybe that explains that Perez managed to catch and overtake him so easily.

Hamilton is hungry and looks much more mature, he's a very serious rival. We'll have a lot of excitement for the next races :)

One of the greatest men in Formula One passed away today. He didn't drive a race car, didn't engineer or design race cars. And yet he may have contributed more to the sport than anyone else over the last 40 or so years. Tonight I'm raising a glass to Professor Sid Watkins, who kept many, many drivers safe, and tended lovingly to those he could not save.

RIP Sid.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/09/13/motor-racing-watkins-idINL3E8KD00020120913

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120912/F1/120919926

Edited by Absorbine_Sr

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't know what the plan is for this weekend, or if Marc is going to be living there anymore, etc. Does somebody have a list of some hotel or motel options close to wherever it would be good to be close to? How many people are actually planning to see the races and how many of those already have tickets?

I hope Marc is still going to have a place for us to crash. When I talked to him a couple of weeks ago it seemed like that was the plan. I looked some time ago for hotels in Austin city limits and there were none. The track seems to be pretty close to the airport, probably 30 miles from Marc (my guess). I haven't checked hotels near the airport.

Jeff must own a few houses around there. We should just take them over. :)

Edited by shellylh

Hotels are going to be a tough nut to crack because of the race. If Marc is not there we may need to be an hour or more away to get rooms and rates that are not astronomical. Debbie and I do have tickets for all three days at the track, but no accomodations other than Marc for the time being.

I am becoming very tempted however to sell my race tickets because of the asshattedness that the race promoters are currently pulling. Long after the race tickets went on sale (at large price points) they announced parking prices - $200 for all three days. Highway robbery. Today they post the items that will be prohibited from the track - coolers, beverages, food, cameras with lenses longer than 10" and no video devices. Which could mean every fucking smart phone in existence today. And most of it is just to force people to pay their exorbitant prices for food, drink and beer. To say I am pissed is an understatement.

Edited by Absorbine_Sr

• 2 weeks later...

fwiw, NBC outbid everyone for U.S. coverage next year & Will Buxton has started following NBC & NBCSports on twitter...

normally, I'd much rather watch the BBC, SKY or Setanta coverage, but this'll hafta be better than SPEED's lousy mess...

Edited by emelius