Headamp GS-1 or Gilmore Lite?

volcomjerk

There's someone on head-fi selling a Dynahi that looks pretty nice. Having just sold one myself (only for the slightly retarded reason of trying a nice tube amp instead), I can tell you it is an amazing amp. The GS-1 is a dynalo isn't it?

Isn't the dynahi a much higher output version of a dynalo? Isn't it the same circuit give or take a bit? Shouldn't that mean that in some ways the dynalo will actually be better if it has enough power for your headphones?

Isn't the dynahi a much higher output version of a dynalo? Isn't it the same circuit give or take a bit? Shouldn't that mean that in some ways the dynalo will actually be better if it has enough power for your headphones?

With nothing else changed, higher power available at the same gain seems like it would be the preferrable situation. Unless you don't like heat.

Guest sacd lover

Wouldn't the higher power result in increased noise and distortion, purely theoretically?

No. Not unless you are trying to squeeze more power out of the same output devices. If you add more output capacity by using say more transistors per channel .... or higher power transistors .... there is no reason for the amp to have higher noise or distortion.

• 1 year later...
Apple Airport Express is better than any usb source I've heard, if you're starting from itunes.

How does this exactly work now? I have a laptop with wifi and a gilmore lite so all I do is get an airport express and connect pc to airport wirelessly then airport has analog outs to go in the glite??? How do I use my interconnects with airport express? I don't exactly understand this. Also, if I do this, can I also connect a usb dac to the airport express or is it a good enough dac in itself to connect directly to my rig

Holy old posts batman :)

To use the airport express without a dac with your glite, take a mini to rca cable and hook them up. You can't add a usb dac to the airport express.

That said, I recind my above comment about the airport express being better than any usb dac I've heard. The various headroom dacs and the pico quite handily beat the airport express. But in the price range, I still prefer the airport express. And you can add an optical dac to it later. The advantage the aex has is it's not electrically connected to the computer, so you get some noise isolation. If you then hook it up to a dac optically, you're golden.