And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Went to a Microsoft retail store at lunchtime with other co-workers, just because.

Definitely an "Uncanny Valley" experience where you felt you were in a store, to misquote Douglas Adams that was almost, but not quite, entirely like an apple store.

The main difference being the microsoft store used darker wood for the top surfaces of their tables.

Other people have had similar experiences.

http://news.cnet.com...he-apple-store/

Definitely moving towards a future full of devices geared for consumption of purchases rather than ever more capable Turing Complete general purpose computers.

Ho Hum.

Edited by Grahame

^ :)

Congrats on getting through it, CJ!

I, a volunteer crew of friends and neighbours, and a carpenter friend whom I employed for the day replaced seven old aluminum slider windows with triple-panes in our house today. One window remains to be installed, and there is a big snow dump expected tomorrow night. I am tired.

Excellent, Vicki. It's always nice to see the fruit of one's labor and be able to be proud of it.

Shelly/Chris, bummer. I've been there off and on for what seems like 2 weeks now and it's getting really old.

Me - emergency site visit to Boston this morning to look at storm damage to the USS Constitution Park for the NPS. Turned out to be pretty minor damage to a fender system so that was good. Now I get to go back to report writing and fighting other fires. This three day weekend is timed very well.

Had a math friend of mine who has been a speaker guy for around 30 years listen to the PWD -> KGSS -> SR-007 system and he was really impressed. He said it was the first time that he felt like he wasn't listening to headphones (when listening to headphones).

Do you have a Headamp KGSS or a DIY version? Does the typical DIY KGSS sound pretty much the same if they're built right?

Woke up with a horrible sore throat this morning. I kinda figured that as soon as I had a let down from work that I would get sick. sad.png

Get well soon!

larry, interview started at 8:45 as people were walking in late...med school interview and being 15 minutes late couldn't possibly be a good mix but oh well, better chances for me. they just did general introductions and laid out the day for all 25 of us. we were divided into 5 groups and then they had a short presentation about the curriculum and how they are different from all other medical schools. they did ~15 minute 2 (faculty members) on 1 interviews. mine lasted close to 30 minutes - don't know if thats a good thing or a bad one but everyone outside was wondering wtf happened. i was asked why and how i changed from math to medicine and how my experiences had shaped the decision. i had mentioned that i was born and raised in india so they asked me to compare and contrast the health care systems of the two countries. they asked me to tell them in a lot of detail what my average weekly schedule was like and what my opinions were on the current health care system. given the opportunity what I would fix about it and last, they asked me to explain the absurdly low biology mcat section score. they took students around to tour the facilities by groups as each group then went in for a group interview. we were asked to sit around a table and were given several questions where we were to come up with answers. mostly ethical stuff like 3 people you love on a sinking boat. you can save 2 so who do you save. do you treat a neighbors kid even if the parent cant afford to pay you? what happens if he makes it a habit of it. how do you handle that? what would you do if you see your mentor make a mistake during surgery - do you report him and potentially lose a residency spot or do you keep quiet?

the group aspect went on for a lot longer. we went for lunch with the dean and then came home. were told before leaving that we would have a decision on the 21st.

• Like 1

i lost track of five hours, today. i had been sick, and i came home early on Friday to make dinner: Thomas Keller French Laundry chicken, ratatouille, and a French boule. i apparently laid down at about 7:00, which is when everything went into long cooking mode, and Emily went to an antique Christmas event at a local museum. i was expecting her back by 8, or so. i have no knowledge of going to bed. i woke up at about 11:30. apparently i asked to be left alone, when Emily tried to wake me, and at some point i got up and used the bathroom. i have no knowledge of any of that. i hadn't had anything to drink (i in fact had poured a drink, and left it on my desk, untouched, before going to sleep), and i'm guessing no aliens abducted me. really pretty freaky. Emily fortunately took the food off the heat, and put it away, so it wasn't a waste (and it looks perfect), but it's disconcerting.

Wow, you must have been exhausted too. But no fever?