And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

On 7/11/2024 at 1:17 PM, TMoney said:

It is funny how a multiple days over 110F really make you appreciate those days when it is “merely 103.”

We pulled a little Bay Area up to you last night for a family visit on Mel’s side in Auburn. Should only hit a chilly 99 today.

• Haha 1

Went to take a shower today, and a very young mouse was visiting in my tub😮

Should have taken a pic, very cute little thing.  Put it in a box with air holes until I could take my shower and put it outside.

The dichotomy of our reactions:

Karen: "Oh, gross, we need to get rid of it and any others...."

Todd: "It's SOOO cute, we should get a habitrail and keep him...." 🤣

I did let him outside, but fear he's too small to survive on his own.  And we got some no-escape traps to see if others are here and can be captured.  I also plan on getting some humane packages of those mint or other deterrents....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Disease bringer. I hate to say it, but she's right.  Nothing wrong with humanely getting rid of it, but you will at least want to be careful not to get bit by the thing.  (We get them all the time where I am.  Kikik even had one in its mouth for a while.  Natural born huntress.)

Oh, and yeah, the circle of life is so common in those situations, prepare for grief:

I went to visit a good friend at her apartment building in Portland in 1990. While climbing the stairs to her floor, a little mouse, was sitting on a step. I was sure it'd run off as I got closer. I reached that step and the little mouse moved toward my foot. I put my hand down near it and it crawled right into my hand.

I took it into my friends apartment. She grabbed a box, but didn't want to interact with my new friend. I knew that he must have been someone's pet, because he had no fear of people. I took him home, made him a temporary home in a bucket, and she put up a notice in her building. Nobody answered the notice, so I bought a proper cage. Had that little guy for about 2 years.

Named him Machismo, after a local Mexcan fast food chain named Machismo Mouse. 

• Like 3

I haven't mentioned it before now, because it's been a bit of a scramble, but today I signed a lease on a new apartment. 

I'm going to miss my current place, but my landlord's Father is getting too old to care for himself completely, and he's going to move into my apartment, so that he can still have some sense of self reliance. But Sheri can better help him out.

My new apartment is 20 minutes West/Northwest, in a sleepy town called Nicasio. I use the term town loosely. I'm in the middle of giant Redwood trees. And I do mean in the middle. It's absolutely gorgeous! Maki will have 5 big dogs as neighbors. The landlords are dog softies and have foster failed with each one. Though Maki will have her own fenced yard. And this apartment has a doggy door, which is phenomenal. It's a bit smaller than my current place, but does have a sizable deck overlooking the forest of giant Redwoods, and much more kitchen cabinet space for my abundant kitchen appliance collection.

Maki can bark all she wants, and I can crank the music as loud as I want. Currently my apartment is below a house, and that keeps it quite a bit cooler than the house above me. This new place is below a garage with a concrete slab floor, and the trees block out a lot of direct sunlight. So it should be even cooler than this place. It was quite comfortable at 4:00 today. I've had the heater vent blocked since the day I moved in almost 7 years ago. And will never need the heater in the new place. Still have my Alaska blood. Should be in on the first. Will take some pics after getting situated. 

Nate, do you remember the hike we went on last time you were out here? It's just a little further up the road from there, and very similar surroundings.

The only downside is no in-house washer/dryer, but that's not the end of the world. It has two large closets with hanging rods, where my current apartment has none. And as a gay man, I do have an adequate clothing collection. I threw out about 20 pair of old shoes today. So only about 80-90 pair to have to move. Norm Abram would covet my plaid collection. Haven't counted but at least 40-50 plaid shirts alone. 50-60 hats, etc...

You know, a perfectly reasonable wardrobe. I did slim my T-shirt collection considerably today, and have about 50 to take to Goodwill/Salvation Army. My 50-60 pair of boxer briefs and 100-120 pair of socks will remain intact. I get nervous with less. I will most likely be thinning my crazy audio cable/adapter collection soon. Will post to give anyone an opportunity to claim any unwanted items.

Only 20 minutes from Compound Bedecarre, so Al, Claire and Dorothy won't easily be rid of me. 

• Like 15

15 minutes ago, swt61 said:

Nate, do you remember the hike we went on last time you were out here? It's just a little further up the road from there, and very similar surroundings.

I do indeed Steve and it's actually what sprung to mind when you described the direction and location.

Steve's new backyard.

image.jpeg

• Like 4

I think so, but haven't driven further North to see how close. I'm actually on Lucas Valley Rd. Just about 1 mile off of Nicasio Valley Rd. I think about 4 miles North of the turn off from Sir Francis Drake onto Nicasio Valley Rd.

Just looked it up. Looks like I'm 1/4 - 1/2 mile South of it.

Is the food any good there?

Always looking for a good breakfast place.

Nothing more disturbing than sitting in one's back yard sipping a nice Grand Cru, enjoying the scenery then having an intruder slither uncomfortably close by.  It kind of ruins the vibe...

image.jpeg

I hope this does the trick tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Augsburger said:

Nothing more disturbing than sitting in one's back yard sipping a nice Grand Cru, enjoying the scenery then having an intruder slither uncomfortably close by.  It kind of ruins the vibe...

image.jpeg

If you have any left over, there are some political rallies that could do with a healthy application.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Augsburger said:

image.jpeg

I hope it's more effective than shark repellent

14y3bdRzH8aT0k.webp

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Augsburger said:

image.jpeg

I've tried it in the past. I can't tell you if it works or not.

There have been quiet years and snake conventions in the back yard.

Backing up to the woods has it's good and bad points. I can tell you

the former neighbors bird feeders drew both vermin and snakes.

I don't remember seeing any the year or two I used this stuff.

Bobcats, raccoons, armadillos, possums, and even turtles have

wandered about. More than a few turtles.

• Like 1

Cheering on the people we know in Paris.

image.jpeg

On the left, our friend and Lance's former coach. The gold medal fencer on the right is "Greg" Cheung.

Most importantly, both men like my tri-tip BBQ and 12-hour short rib tacos.  Little known Olympic fact...

Edited by Augsburger
  • Like 16

I've been packing to move to my new apartment. I bought a Chromebook maybe 4 years back when my desktop crapped out. However, I don't remember this 13" Lenovo laptop that I came across a few days ago.

Fast forward to just 30 minutes ago, when pulling out boxes from under my bed, I find a nice laptop tote. Upon discovering this I immediately flashed back to buying a 19' HP laptop at Best Buy, back when I moved to Sacramento in 2013. Opening the tote, there lays the 19' HP. OK, now I have two laptops and a Chromebook. Next I open up the storage closet that leads under the house. There I find just a few things. I'm happy there's not more stuff that I might have forgotten. Just 4 empty plastic storage totes that I take advantage of. And I see a big suitcase that matches my small suitcase. Wait a minute, this doesn't feel quite empty. Zip, zip... WTF!

And here layes a really nice 20" HP laptop. It does seem somewhat familiar, but I can't tell you when or where I bought it.

So, 3 laptops and 1 Chromebook later, I think I'm squared away for computers. Especially since I have barely used a computer in about 6 years.

This on top of 3 different tablets that I'd forgotten all about.

Edited by swt61
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 3

Enjoying the views outside my new apartment this morning. Pretty epic. Maki seems to be adjusting pretty well. Instead of christening the new yard with champagne, she used some other fluids.

The first thing Al and I did was to make the new deck safe for Maki by applying chicken wire to all the railings. Wire provided by Uncle Al. Maki loves her Uncle!

20240802_072331.jpg

20240802_072344.jpg

20240802_072412.jpg

20240802_072428.jpg

20240802_073310.jpg

I'm certainly no photographer, but the dappled light coming through the trees in the morning is incredible. 

• Like 9