And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Oh man, glad I didn't say anything 😄  I was born December 1964, so "officially" a Boomer, but definitely Gen-X as well as Boomer.....

But I do agree with Steve regarding the downfall of TV news....I blame Reagan and the removal of the Fairness Doctrine....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished some sheet rock patches at Al's house in the city. Had to remove some drywall sections to get at a broken cast iron drain, maybe over a year ago now?

20240529_114535.jpg

20240529_114534.jpg

20240529_114524.jpg

They're not absolutely perfect, but pretty good. 

Maki helped keep the dust down by keeping the garage floor wet. 

😳

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The counter got installed right before I left town! I had a few imperfections here and there that I know because I obsessed about sanding them down and trying again but I ended up leaving well enough alone. I will go back and fix the faucet handles… heh /lazy

IMG_7354.jpeg

IMG_7353.jpeg

Edited by luvdunhill
  • Like 9

Working on getting M3 back up and running. Battery was dead. Gone are the days of 48/60/72/84 month warranties and in are 3-year-on-the-high-end warranties.

Well, pull my 275$ AGM battery and check for a build date. 5/21. #WINNING Took it in to get tested/charged/possibly warrantied. As long as I didn't buy it on 5/30 or 5/31, I'd get coverage.

I've abstained from biscuits for a bit, and my warranty runs out on 6/14/24.

It was discharged so much it took 15+ minutes for the machine to even tell us how long a charge would take. Instead, it came back as dead. Got the call; I pick up a brand new 275$ AGM battery tomorrow.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

The counter got installed right before I left town! I had a few imperfections here and there that I know because I obsessed about sanding them down and trying again but I ended up leaving well enough alone. I will go back and fix the faucet handles… heh /lazy

IMG_7354.jpeg

IMG_7353.jpeg

Looks great Marc!

12 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

IMG_7354.jpeg

IMG_7353.jpeg

Noice!

There's nothing about this post that doesn't make my heart melt. 

The idea that Esme doesn't have to live in her own head makes me joyful!

I felt like a fraud in my own family until my early 20s. It's absolutely amazing that today parents can be intellectually, emotionally and physically supportive. 

I'm not sure if you fully understand how much you're contributing to the mental health of your child. I had so many friends completely abandoned by their parents, and their mental health suffered immeasurably. Happily that was not the case with my own parents, but it was still a rockier road to travel.

I applaud you both! Be strong Esme, and be you!

• Like 8

Sacramento is a nice place to live, but learning to deal with to the heat here vs. the coastal weather of the Bay Area is a big adjustment.

I keep getting my butt absolutely kicked on hikes that I’d have no problem with if it were cooler. I’d estimate there is something like a 15-20% difference in effort required to do outdoor activity at 65F near the coast vs. doing at 90F inland. I think the body just has to spend a lot more energy keeping itself cool.

Thankfully I am bringing plenty of water. A nice cold Gatorade at a gas station after hours hiking out in the sun also really hits the spot.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Grahame said:

But at least it's a dry heat, amiright?

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article277546363.html

Well...California actually does have a variety of climates, I mean, just look at this shit:

image.png

Admitted, it's changed a lot since I was last there, but it still seems to be pretty drastic changes over the course of small distances -- isn't it more arid on the other side of the mountains, or perhaps even before that?  Maybe that's why it's called silicon valley, sand is about the only thing you all can grow out there ... ah, I almost said that with a straight face.

7 hours ago, Grahame said:

But at least it's a dry heat, amiright?

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article277546363.html

I was ironically referring to the low humidity in Sacramento, which makes the extreme heat sooo much more bearable.

10 minutes ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Well...California actually does have a variety of climates, I mean, just look at this shit:

image.png

Admitted, it's changed a lot since I was last there, but it still seems to be pretty drastic changes over the course of small distances -- isn't it more arid on the other side of the mountains, or perhaps even before that?  Maybe that's why it's called silicon valley, sand is about the only thing you all can grow out there ... ah, I almost said that with a straight face.

Not just climates, microclimates.

https://www.yourcentralvalley.com/digital-exclusives/why-does-california-have-so-many-microclimates/

Especially in The Bay Area

https://www.kqed.org/news/11827882/why-does-the-bay-area-have-so-many-microclimates

Although Redwood City will claim ("by government test") they have the best.

redwoodcitysign2.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Augsburger said:

I did a couple of mountain bike rides north of Phoenix in July back in the day. It was so hot even the coyotes just watched and laughed at our hubris.

Are you sure that's what they were laughing at?

61bIxmHNFUL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Like 3