And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Went to Burning Amp, where the weather at Fort Mason was one of those perfect Bay Area days, that you tell the tourists "are always like this" ;). Ti had been busy.

post-545-13514881397523_thumb.jpg

Some interesting Woodwork

post-545-13514882016477_thumb.jpg

And a Fisker

post-545-13514882517322_thumb.jpg

(That's spelled with a 'K' Steve :) )

Then back to have some friends round to see the Giants win the World Series, with ice cream!

Then show them Gagnam Style on the Big Screen / speakers so they know what all the fuss is about. Now going out for a walk with Jo. A good day.

I was at the AES convention all weekend.

I took a "technical tour" on Friday afternoon up to Marin (kept thinking we were goin' to Mayberry!).

The tour was at Bob Weir's TRI (Tamalpais Research Institute).

http://www.tristudios.com/about

Aside from going there to check out the recording studios (which are awesome!) we were there to hear the Meyer Sound Constellation System.

http://www.meyersound.com/products/constellation/

Amazing! IIRC, set into the ceiling were about 50 pairs of speakers with matching DPA mic's to create the reverb of any size room with continuously variable damping, width and volume controls (from a stand mounted iPad or stomp box). It could sound so subtle that, if your eyes were closed, you would swear that the room was growing smaller or larger.

Bob Weir ended up being our tour guide along with his two engineers and they even provided some nice beers and tasty treats.

There were 24 of us there and we were all treated like friends or family.

Totally cool.

Saturday and Sunday at AES was almost as cool.

Learned a ton (I was in wall to wall workshops, lectures 3/4 of the time and drooled over gear the rest) and spent plenty of time pestering the software/hardware vendors I use.

Met tons of cool folks and still got home to watch our Giants kick the crap out of Detroit!

Woo Hoo!

• Like 1

More Burning Amp Galleries

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audio/burningamp2012/

http://wavebourn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1186

Which raises the issue that for any moderately popular location / event / subject there are likely to be more / better photo's of the same thing on the web taken by other people ...

Which leads to the situation, that often the best record of your own experiences, to say, show other people, is not your own record of your experiences ... if that makes sense. (drinkers may already be familiar with this situation , but i was speaking as a non-drinker ... :) )

Has anyone else encountered this Phenomenon ... (Peter Excepted :) )

Yup. I was totally amazed by TRI!

There was a focus on great producers at this conference. Plenty of great stories from the trenches.

One example:

Jack Douglas was on a panel where the producers brought samples of their work.

He played several files of his work with John Lennon when he produced the Double Fantasy record. One was Lennon singing and playing guitar while he was working on "Wheels Go Round and Round". The original was recorded on cassette and sent from Bermuda to Douglas in NYC totally bare bones. The second version had Lennon "doubling" his voice by singing along with the first cassette while it was recorded on a second machine. The next two was with Lennon in the studio with various levels of overdubs and finally the release version.

Really interesting to hear the evolution of such a well know song and great to hear Lennon's comments at each stage of the game.

On the same panel, Michael Walden talked about his recording of Aretha and his playing with the Mahavishnu Orchestra and Jeff Beck.

All the cool stuff from AES is still sinking in. This is my 3rd one and while things can get mighty technical and it ain't exactly cheap, it's a real privilege for a total hack like me!

Edited by ironbut

Found out today that Sirius/XM raised my rate from $5.99 per month to over $15.00 per month with no notification, and has been billing me at that rate since January.

Called to promptly cancel, which took about an hour. I asked for an email confirmation of cancellation to which they reply it will take 24 hours. Fucktards!

My fault for not watching my bank statements closer.

In writing?

EDIT: check ou the AVS forum http://www.avsforum.com/f/101/xm-and-sirius-satellite-radio for hints about how to get the reps / customer retention special offers.

I played the "one time special offer" game for a while, then gave it up. they keep begging me to come back for $25 for six months - but I don't miss it now.

Edited by Grahame

What a coincidence, I was just reading about personalized bioweapons.

Coincidence, I read that last week with great interest.

Oh Yeah, sent specifications off to craftsman for possible new chef knives. Hand forged Damascus, not a Japanese craftsman though so we shall see.

Edited by Augsburger

I spent my Halloween carving cardboard for my Dynalo front and back plate mock-ups. Suffice to say that these mock-ups revealed some fuck-ups that may have cost me a new front panel. Some final adjustments and they might go to CNC tomorrow. Fingers crossed after that.

Regarding the new Headamp logos, I did like this one- http://99designs.com/logo-design/contests/logo-wanted-headamp-audio-electronics-172729/entries/5 I'd simplify it a little though.