And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Sorry to hear about your mom Dusty. That is a great fear of mine, it does seem as though your mom is on the road to a full recovery. Best of luck to her getting out of the hospital ASAP.

Scott, that might be Bell's palsy that your dad is experiencing... I'm not a doctor, just had it once. At any rate, best wishes for your dad as well.

I think it could be, which would be good news. Thanks!

What a fuckin' night, man.

I went back (alone) to this blues dive I got dragged to last night, to listen to some more music without distractions. Toughed it out through a few waves of incredibly obnoxious college chicks who attacked the place a little after midnight, and could care less about the actual music. Ended up staying there until around 2:30 or so, when the band finished and I decided to head home. For some reason all the ramps to 75 were shut down, so I had to make my way through the ragged-ass ATL backroads to get back over to 85. Along the way on a pitch black road I hit some kind of debris, who the fuck knows what, and completely trashed my front right tire. I pull over and actually manage to change it out for the spare with essentially no light. Start driving again, STILL FUCKIN FLAT?! Decide to take the chances on fucking up the spare tire too and go a few more blocks to find a gas station, pull in to fill up the spare, and I find out there is no goddamn valve stem in the spare tire. What. The. Fuck? So there I am sitting stuck at this gas station in the middle of Atlanta, half an hour from home, past 3 in the morning, and I've got to spend forever on the phone trying to find someone who will pick up and be able to give me a ride back.

Meh.

What a fuckin' night, man.

I went back (alone) to this blues dive I got dragged to last night, to listen to some more music without distractions. Toughed it out through a few waves of incredibly obnoxious college chicks who attacked the place a little after midnight, and could care less about the actual music. Ended up staying there until around 2:30 or so, when the band finished and I decided to head home. For some reason all the ramps to 75 were shut down, so I had to make my way through the ragged-ass ATL backroads to get back over to 85. Along the way on a pitch black road I hit some kind of debris, who the fuck knows what, and completely trashed my front right tire. I pull over and actually manage to change it out for the spare with essentially no light. Start driving again, STILL FUCKIN FLAT?! Decide to take the chances on fucking up the spare tire too and go a few more blocks to find a gas station, pull in to fill up the spare, and I find out there is no goddamn valve stem in the spare tire. What. The. Fuck? So there I am sitting stuck at this gas station in the middle of Atlanta, half an hour from home, past 3 in the morning, and I've got to spend forever on the phone trying to find someone who will pick up and be able to give me a ride back.

Meh.

Oh man, I'm so sorry cause that sounds like it sucks big time.

At least the guy at the gas station was cool. He didn't mind me leaving the car there overnight as long as I moved it over to the side out of the way.

EDIT: Now I have an insane headache, my ears are still ringing, I'm tired as fuck, and I think it's time to go crash. HARD.

Edited by Fitz

Hope you feel better after some sleep, Fitz.

Went out to a local fair yesterday. We had a lot of fun and ate some unhealthily fair food as well. This unfortunately was followed by probably the worst experience we've had in trying to get our daughter to sleep for the night. Much to our dismay, she woke up at the usual time (6am) instead of sleeping in bit longer.

Thinking healing thoughts in Al's Dad's direction.

My mom had a minor stroke. She is ... as fine as one can be, having had a stroke. She is definitely going to survive, I saw her moving her legs and everything. But she is severely weakened. She can't stand on her own. While I was visiting her, she had me prop her up again, but she doesn't even have the body strength to hold herself up, so that's going to need to be repeated every once in a while. That said, she's already bored and cranky and constantly telling the nurses to do stuff. So...that's good? She'll probably be out of the hospital on Monday and into PT.

So...I do appreciate all the well wishes -- I honestly believe in the power of positive thinking, and y'all really came through!

Sorry to hear about your Mom, Dusty. Wishing her a full recovery.

Just catching up here... best wishes for sick and improving HC parents, road trips gone bad.

We returned last night from our nice, long, family trip out west. Shelly was right, Amtrack ran 2-3 hours late. Still like the train ride, though, it was kind of cool!

Dusty, sorry to hear about your mom.

Fitz, definitely a bad night.

My first job of the day was to pressure clean the patio out back and the walkway in the front. Next up is hang with Jp for a bit, make something for lunch, make a blueberry pie and come up with something to make for dinner.

Just catching up here... best wishes for sick and improving HC parents, road trips gone bad.

We returned last night from our nice, long, family trip out west. Shelly was right, Amtrack ran 2-3 hours late. Still like the train ride, though, it was kind of cool!

2-3 hours is pretty much on schedule for Amtrak. :) Glad you had fun.

Last time I rode Amtrak, the train unfortunately hit a truck and killed a person (probably a suicide which seems to be fairly). We ended up 12 hours late (for what was supposed to be a 6 hour train ride). Of course, I cannot really blame that on Amtrak I suppose.

Today I spent the day mostly indoors just as I have for the last two weeks. This is our 14th straight day of over 100 degree weather (I believe this is the hottest August on record). The only good thing is that there is a chance that we may get a tiny bit of rain! This year has been really bad. We have had around 5" of rain for all of 2011 and most of that was in January. I think I remember it raining maybe two or three times in the last 6 months. Usually we have around 4-5" per month (and usually more during the summer). Our foundation is really shifting because of the dry weather. I was going to wait for the rain to come back before having it repaired. I just hope all of our trees survive the extreme drought. We have 3 very large live oaks in the front and three other large trees in the backyard. I would really hate to lose the live oaks, they are around 70 years old I think. OK, enough of my complaining.

I echo jvlgato's wishes, hoping for the best on all accounts, from parents to tires to tired kids.

Today, did some back-to-school shopping for my son, as well as some nice clothes for the upcoming Bar-Mitzvah "season" for his friends.

Also am helping someone who had her computer attacked by some ugly malware. Infested enough system files that it barely boots up and many things don't run properly. Have recovered her data, think I'll just re-install OS and core apps for her....she's glad I saved the data, HER son's Bar-Mitzvah is in two weeks!

2-3 hours is pretty much on schedule for Amtrak. smile.png Glad you had fun.

Last time I rode Amtrak, the train unfortunately hit a truck and killed a person (probably a suicide which seems to be fairly). We ended up 12 hours late (for what was supposed to be a 6 hour train ride). Of course, I cannot really blame that on Amtrak I suppose.

I guess we should only take Amtrak when it isn't time critical, like when on a leisurely vacation!

Regarding a suicidal truck-train crash, how awful ... I have to admit that here and there while on the train for > 25 hours, that train crash scene from 'Super 8' forced its way into my head. Luckily, no such event for us! :)

Wow. I'm glad to hear that parents are all on the mend!

Trains are cool if you're not in a hurry. Bonnie and I took and Amtrak trip in our own little compartment once. We were, in fact, a couple hours late, but it was fun.

I have no idea why people choose to kill themselves by getting in front of a train, but they do it l the time. (Most of the rest of the people who get hit by trains are either super-drunk, or --- I am not making this up --- they go to sleep, or pass out, on the tracks!)

I once photographed a train accident/suicide where some lady literally danced a jig in front of the train, so said the engineer. Trains don't stop very fast, so I had to walk three or four blocks down the tracks, past itty bitty little pieces of the lady, to get to the front of the train. When I talked to the engineer, I asked if the railroad provided a program like post-event stress debriefings (which were new and all the rage at the time) in cases like that. The engineer scoffed. Not only did they not have any program like that, he said that one night he ran over two different people between Miami and Jacksonville and got chewed out royally for being late. I thought he was exaggerating, of course. No manager could ever be stupid and heartless enough to actually blame an employee for such a thing. But it made a good story nevertheless. A couple or three decades later.... not so sure.

Postscript. I was off work and on a date when I got that call that night. For those of you are are still single, I'm sure there are occasions when letting the would-be girlfriend/boyfriend see what you do for a living is a great idea. And there are occasions when it's not such a good idea.

Postscript. I was off work and on a date when I got that call that night. For those of you are are still single, I'm sure there are occasions when letting the would-be girlfriend/boyfriend see what you do for a living is a great idea. And there are occasions when it's not such a good idea.

So wrong and yetrofl.gif

Wow. I'm glad to hear that parents are all on the mend!

Trains are cool if you're not in a hurry. Bonnie and I took and Amtrak trip in our own little compartment once. We were, in fact, a couple hours late, but it was fun.

I have no idea why people choose to kill themselves by getting in front of a train, but they do it l the time. (Most of the rest of the people who get hit by trains are either super-drunk, or --- I am not making this up --- they go to sleep, or pass out, on the tracks!)

I once photographed a train accident/suicide where some lady literally danced a jig in front of the train, so said the engineer. Trains don't stop very fast, so I had to walk three or four blocks down the tracks, past itty bitty little pieces of the lady, to get to the front of the train. When I talked to the engineer, I asked if the railroad provided a program like post-event stress debriefings (which were new and all the rage at the time) in cases like that. The engineer scoffed. Not only did they not have any program like that, he said that one night he ran over two different people between Miami and Jacksonville and got chewed out royally for being late. I thought he was exaggerating, of course. No manager could ever be stupid and heartless enough to actually blame an employee for such a thing. But it made a good story nevertheless. A couple or three decades later.... not so sure.

On the first day of our honeymoon in 1992 my wife and I took the Amtrak on the Oregon trail route to Seattle, with plans to rent a car there and drive through the Canadian Rockies to backpack and camp at various places; but in Oregon the train hit a 17 year old riding his bike on the tracks over a bridge. He tried to outrun the train rather than jump off the bridge.

When the train 1st stopped we asked what was wrong, and when we found out I volunteered that I was a doctor and would like to help. The kid had been knocked clean out of his shoes, and was in the ditch with blood coming out of every orifice. Nevertheless, my wife and I did CPR until the EMT's arrived and took over. His friends were there and had escaped off the bridge before the train, and they were all freaked out. The conductor/engineer was too shaken up to complete the trip and we had to wait 4 hours for a replacement. We finally arrived in Seattle about 6 hours later and found that the child had lived another 4 hours before his parents had to pull the life support.

We convinced ourselves that we did everything that we could, and that we bought him a few hours for his family and friends to say goodbye, and did our best to enjoy the rest of the 10 day honeymoon. We didn't give a second thought to the engineer though. We assumed sending in a replacement was standard procedure for this kind of thing.

[EDIT - today is our 19th wedding anniversary!]

Edited by HeadphoneAddict