And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

I do quite a bit of contract work for one of the country networks here. All footage that comes in goes into a central storage system so that all of the edit bays can access the same thing at the same time if necessary. We just finished the CMA Music Fest (Fan Fair) last week so there's a ton of footage in the system at the moment. Once it's in I go through another program and label all of the metadata so that it can be archived-then blown out of the system. Which means I have to go through and label every artist that's in there as well as industry people.

We got a call today from one of the tour companies here. While talent was out interviewing the "man on the street" they did a quick bit with 2 couples from New England. The footage either made it in to one of the promos or shows this week. The tour company said that one of the guys we interviewed had an aneurism while walking across the street downtown. It was just like someone turned off a light switch. He just collapsed with no warning. Was in intensive care and they most likely took him off of life support today. The tour guide said that the wife was wondering if there was any way she could get a copy of the footage since this will be pretty much the last thing they have of him.

Most of the time it's a rather laborious process to get footage from a network. Have to make sure of clearance rights and all that... but since it wasn't an artist but your average Joe they came down and I quickly found the footage, threw it on a timeline and layed it out to dvd. The tour guide came in around 3pm crying and very grateful that we were able to do this while they were still in town. Hate it for the spouse that she'll probably always remember this year's Music Fest.

RIP Paul...

Jack "graduated" from preschool today. It was very sweet in a very precious Tribeca kind of way. But I am very proud of him. Then we went to orientation for his public school next for next year. This school is zoned for Battery Park City north only. Let's just say that this isn't the kind of NYC public school that most of us think of when we hear "NYC public school." My wife and I are NYC private school elitist swine and even we were amazed by the resources available to our kid--for free! Woohoo!

While I was mixing a cocktail after dinner in Mayberry tonight, a tweaker who lives just up the hill immediately behind my house who has had various problems with the police before started shouting from his balcony to everybody and nobody that he was rock and roll and the fucking Marinites in the neighborhood didn't understand. He kept this up for quite awhile even calling down to Sophie that he could see her and her little dog through the trees.

He escalated his bullshit spewing and threats to kick eveeryone's ass and was telling somebody else at his place that he was going to use "mind bullets" against the fucking hypoctrits who wouldn't call the police on him after he formed his new band and some other BS. Then, he threw some stuff off his balcony down the hill and started shouting at various people who shouted back or told him to shut up and take it inside. Eventually, the asshole jumped down off his balcony and came crashing down the hill right behind our property (by the shed for those who have visited). The neighbor dude two houses to our right whose property intersects at the shed was screaming at him that he had better not come onto his property, and the guy was screaming back that he was going to kick his ass,etc.

It was just getting dark and I couldn't see where he was so I grabbed my baseball bat and then called 911. They immediately asked if I was calling about the guy on Pine Street and I said yes, but told them he was now on Cascade and seemingly on my neighbor's property. They showed up right after that but the tweaker was still screaming and carrying on about his dignity and asking if they would just let him go home for at least another 30-45 minutes for who knows what reason.

Mayberry on Bad Acid tonight.

And congrat to Jack and to your tuition-free school next year!

Edited by Voltron

At those interface speeds, you're mostly limited to the speed of the drive. I'd check the drive's stated read/write speed (not the interface speed) to see what you should realistically expect.

Well, I can't find specs for the hard drive speed on Seagate's website or in reviews, but the writing on the box claims "up to 10x faster". Oh well, not that big of a deal. Adorama is indeed willing to take the card back, but now I wonder if I should look for a faster drive since CNET says the Seagate was a little slow for a USB 3.0 drive.

What I did today was watch my son's baseball team win their game 3-1, and then we ate at Wahoo's Fish Tacos afterwards. Fun.

PS On a more srs note: I'd be curious if you found out what drug he was on. I'll put my chips on "cocaine". Anyone else?

Well I've certainly never encountered that kind of reaction, but then again coke isn't a big thing in the circles I travel either.

I'd be curious if you found out what drug he was on. I'll put my chips on "cocaine". Anyone else?

Heh. Camel Toads.

Wow, Al! Exiting stuff in yer 'hood! These are the guys that I'd get awakened by page to see at 3am on call as a resident. We just loved that. Usually they were psychotic from being manic (spring time sometimes brings it out), and/or test positive for cocaine and/or occasionally PCP.

I used to think this kind of thing didn't happen near where I lived, but now that I work 5 minutes from where I live, I know that it's not THAT uncommon ...

Back in Oak Park after finishing my final round interview with Accenture. They had some positions open up in Milwaukee along with Minneapolis. Still not Chicago but at least they're getting closer.

I did mention to my recruiter that I'd prefer to stay in Chicago and she said that while nothing is available now, she would let me know when something opens up. So it sounds like if I get an offer for MN or WI I can tell her I'd like to wait for Chicago openings and get in that way. We'll see.

... Wouldn't it be so much easier if they just had one fucking job in Chicago?

Went to my company fishing trip, left out of Jacksonville and hit a bunch of spots mostly based around old ships and other reefs. Not normally my favorite thing, fishing. I embraced my redneck trucker side and got-er-done (I heard that phrase sans-irony a few times today).

Pulled up a half dozen common Seabass, an ancient 8" pinfish, and a 2' atlantic shark. Not expecting the shark to be great eating but I had a gorgeous mangrove snapper that would have been the catch of the day get torn up by two other sharks before I got it in the boat. I wasn't feeling particularly generous. Also had two perfect red snappers but they're restricted. First one I hooked, the captain warned me before we could even see the fish... "You're not going to like this".

Edited by NightWoundsTime