What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

^^ I think I said it before - she be pretty.

Sunday swing.

The Essential Benny Goodman

The Essential Benny Goodman
by Benny Goodman (var)

https://album.link/i/254891127

Example:

With Gene Krupa going off on drums. 

I wanted to listen to an album. But like so many things from the era (the example song was recorded in 1937 - yup 87 years ago), they were released on 78s. Also in this case it had to be split on both sides to fit the 8 minute version. So with that being said, The Essential is a great compilation ad pretty well restored. 

• Like 2

I'm jelly! 

I did meet Elvis as a young lad though. My Uncle was a pit boss at the Tropicana, and introduced my family to him in '70. 

That led to a multi-year Elvis infatuation. 

Which explaines my first album.

710SvDXL7kL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Like 2

I'm enjoying the quadraphonic mix with the DVD of Deep Purple's "Stormbringer" 35th Anniversary edition. Quadraphonic equipment has always piqued my curiosity...Perhaps I'll purchase a CD-4 cartridge to experiment with some things. 

DVD dates: Original Quad mix mixed at The Record Plant, October 1974 reformatted for 5.1 surround sound at Abbey Road Studios, London, February 2008. DTS Sound (24 bit/48K)

You might be surprised, but it's my favorite Purple album:

Deep Purple Stormbringer - 35th Anniversary Edition UK 2-disc CD/DVD set  (457855)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mikeymad said:

^^ this!

I like me some Jack.. 

{{also trying to figure out why this didn't show up in my feeds last month}} 

It was originally released on vinyl only, with Jack encouraging his fans to rip and share.  Just hit streaming for realsies in the past week, I believe.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 7:03 PM, TMoney said:

Pink Floyd - Animals (2018 Remaster)

632x632bb.webp

I hadn’t listened to this album front to back in years but this new remix had me dipping back in.

It sounds great. This album rocks.

Shame these guys still don’t get along with each other to this day (supposedly this was delayed from Roger and David fighting over the liner notes?). They had such a unique sound together. IMO the worst of the Floyd albums is better than any of David or Roger’s solo work.

So I finally got around to this:

Animals

Animals
by Pink Floyd (1977 - 2018 Remix)

https://album.link/i/1631582682

Example:

I have listened to it twice now along with the original below. 

I am a little torn on it because I have listened to the original so much that I look for (listen for) certain things. Little fades, microdynamics, stereo interplay, reflections (real or created). It is why I can use tracks like Pigs to set up a speaker system, and align it for the best 3d soundstage. When that gets disturbed, it throws me off. And in some ways I am not listening to the music anymore I am listening to the differences. 

To be clear this is a remix not a remaster. So I understand it is not just suppose to be just a good sounding version. Does it sound good? Hell yeah, the instruments are more separated, identifiable in the mix. The keyboards are brought forward in the mix, like that. And the bass has a concert level rumble that I have rarely ever heard before on any album, impressive. 

and in the mix... 

Animals

Animals
by Pink Floyd (1977)

https://album.link/i/1065974284

Example:

Just in case you want to compare using that sweet sweet Youtube Compression.

Great album. Did they need to touch it? Probably not. Am I glad they touched it? Probably. The real question will be. Going forward when I want to listen to Animals, which one will I pick? 

I don't know, but I will be interested to find out. 

• Like 6

That's the same problem I have with many remasters. Even though they may be better, my memory is expecting to hear certain things.

And oddly enough, to this day there are songs I'm still expecting to pause and skip to the next track of an 8 track player, then resume. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

^^ Funny you say that, Steve!  I remember greatly playing Animals on 8-track.  With all the longer tracks on the album, they decide to break tracks on the shortest, Pigs On The Wing.  And maybe it WAS a good idea, that being my (and my brothers')  least favorite song.....

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, skullguise said:

Every now and then I put this on, Bjork with a backing Jazz Band.  Really lots of fun and pretty good music!

Gling-Glo.jpg

One of my favorite songs

Have you seen/heard her live rendition of "It's Oh So Quiet"?

The original/video is great fun:

It's when I heard the live version and realized her screams are 100% in control.  How masterful.

• Like 1

Doubt this will be useful to anyone, but should you want to take a short audio tour including here. While in London stayed near the small Freud Museum, where he spent his last few years in exile from the Nazis. Visited, but didn’t have headphones at the time, thus now listening while driving in California. 

https://www.freud.org.uk/2014/03/01/audio-guide/ 

A friend and I used to exchange tours a little out of context of being at the place. The old Alcatraz tour was fun late at night. 

• Like 2

Wanted to try connecting my subwoofers in a simpler way. Got the RCA Y connectors delivered today.

So I have a single variable output on my Parasound Zpre 2. So I used some RCA Y splitters, with one left output going to one of my 2 Zamps running in mono mode, and the Yed second left output going to my left Gallo TR-3D subwoofer. The right Y splitter goes to the right Zamp and the right input of the left subwoofer. The subwoofers have RCA outputs as well as inputs, so I connected the right sub. via the outputs of the left sub. It works like a charm.

71zP526SX2L._AC_UF350,350_QL80_.jpg

Edited by swt61
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2