What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

^^^ Brings back great memories.....

I had 2 older brothers that got me into music, so much so that at age 7 my first 45 record was The Who - Love Reign On me.  And at age 8 or 9 my first album was J Geils Live Full House.

Aerosmith's first album was soon after, and my brother's copy of Get Your Wings found its way on my turntable a fair bit too.  The extra live part after the main portion of Train Kept A Rollin' was probably my favorite musical piece for several months if not longer.

I remember too The Joe Perry Project played in our High School Auditorium....maybe 1981 or 82.....

In the mid-70's I got into ELP and Pink Floyd, and I was hooked even more.

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 3

Similar to my own introduction to music. My two older Brothers definitely sped up my enjoyment of good old rock and roll.

Still, my first albums were The Chipmunks and Elvis (Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite), Around age 10. 

By the time Aerosmith hit the scene, I was in High School. But I remember pulling into the school parking lot in my '72 Duster with Aerosmith blasting on my Pioneer tuner/cassette, 3 (yes 3) pair of Jensen Triaxle 6 x 9 speakers powered by my Rockford Fosgate "The Punch" amplifier. That however would have been around the time of Toys in the Attic. I thought "Big 10" was so clever. Kids!

My first favorite albums were bands such as Procal Harum, Three Dog Night, Blue Oyster Cult, Elton John, Bowie and such.

• Like 3

On 6/28/2024 at 4:38 PM, robm321 said:

My first exposure to Alan Holdsworth was when I was in high school and my guitar teacher gave me a homemade tape with several different guitarists on it. The song Rhoad Games sounded unique. It's what got me into him. Since then, its been a regular album that I revisit from time to time. 

Devil Take the Hindmost, The Otherworldly Music of Allan Holdsworth: 16: Road  Games (1982-84)

What the algo put in my feed as a result. 

wonder what your guitar teacher would have thought about the YouTube world we live in.

• Like 1

My guitar teacher used to play at wineries in Napa along with teaching. He was essentially a starving musician, hustling to get by.

Watching a very well fed musician with a Reese's shirt on making more money than he made with sloppy playing and a  dismissive attitude to a well crafted song without leaving the house might bother him a bit I guess. 

This guy is right. It is one of Alan's more accessible songs which is why it hooked me and made me want to learn it and explore more. It worked. 99% of Alan's songs wouldn't interest me if I didn't play guitar. 

Edited by robm321
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, swt61 said:

Just for general info for the younger crowd, Dance With Me was originally released in 1973. You're Still The One in 1976.

Yeah it was!! 

off of this lovely album with a totally normal album cover....

Waking & Dreaming

• Haha 2

Never did get to see Dire Straits but I was fortunate to see Mark playing with Eric Clapton in '88. Bonus for being 8 rows from the front in an arena setting. Minus for sound quality in an arena setting. The Winnipeg Arena in particular.

Edited by velomane
  • Like 4

Based on a recommendation:

Telemann: Trumpet Concertos

Telemann: Trumpet Concertos
by Håkan Hardenberger (1988)

https://album.link/i/1452218846

Example:

Very enjoyable, I do enjoy alternative Concertos (not always violin and piano), and this fits that bill. I was a little thrown because I am so use to Sir Neville Marriner being the conductor. I know Iona as a violin player, but good conducting chops on display.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 7:14 PM, mikeymad said:

Chopin

Chopin
by Ivo Pogorelich (2022)

https://album.link/i/1600880082

Example:

Very good Sony recording. Ivo is not my fav for Chopin interpretations, but he sure gets a lot of things right for me. 

Have you ever heard Alice Sara Ott, Alfred Brendel, or Marth Argerich interpreting Chopin?  I don't really keep track of favourites, but those are my go-tos.  I have many others, and very few of them do Chopin wrong (including, I'm sure, Pogorelich, I just don't recall ever listening to his).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Have you ever heard Alice Sara Ott, Alfred Brendel, or Marth Argerich interpreting Chopin?  I don't really keep track of favourites, but those are my go-tos.  I have many others, and very few of them do Chopin wrong (including, I'm sure, Pogorelich, I just don't recall ever listening to his).

Ott? Yup..

On 3/8/2022 at 11:20 AM, mikeymad said:

This:

Echoes Of Life

And the Waltzes from 2008

Brendel? yup. But mostly vinyl, so it has been a while. Also I don't remember him recording Chopin that much (Polonaises). I remember a pile of Beethoven and Schubert though. 

Argerich? Other stuff - but not Chopin. I will look for it. I know her DG stuff is respected. 

If I had a go-to, to use your term. It would probably be Artur:

MC01OTA5LmpwZWc.jpeg

I really liked the 11 CD set and listened to it a lot. 

Also there are others as you said - Kissin, Perahia, Horowitz, etc

That said, I don't listen to Chopin that often. I think he was great, and the dedication to piano was incredible. Just sometimes it is a bit 'too many notes' for me.

But if you have album recommendations, please post, I would be happy to add them to my queue if they are available. 

• Like 3

If Not Now, Who?

If Not Now, Who?
by Joe K. Walsh (2023)

https://album.link/i/1655044023

Example:

Not that Joe Walsh. This is Joe Walsh (#6 on discogs) the bluegrass mandolin player. Very enjoyable album. 

w/

Banjo – Matt Flinner
Bass – Karl Doty
Drums – John Suntken
Fiddle – Ella Jordan (tracks: 1,2,10), John Mailander
Guitar – Grant Gordy
Mandolin, Mandola – Joe Walsh (6)