slower forum

Knuckledragger

The secret ingredient to Knuckle's Special Sauce is a few well-placed RSS feeds and an ability to sift through material quickly. The latter is the result of being a photographer in the digital age: take 1000 pictures, post 8.

3Ba8U.jpg

Gbpd6.gif

A repost? Maru doesn't care.

0rmcj.jpg

That's nothing. I kind of wish someone would do a similar video of the one outside my office (Wilson Blvd & N Lynn St), but I'll fully admit I'd probably be on it (aggressive yield and failure to yield). One of the problems is, if you're heading North on N Lynn St and making a right onto Wilson Blvd, there's no good time to actually perform the turn -- when you have the green light, the pedestrians walking along N Lynn crossing Wilson have the walk signal, and there's hardly ever a break in the foot traffic (they get the walk signal before the light turns green, and they'll be more than happy to finish crossing if they entered the intersection when the walk signal told them they only had one second remaining); when you have the red light, the pedestrians crossing your path traveling along Wilson crossing N Lynn have the right of way, and on top of that, you can't see oncoming traffic from up Wilson. Plus, people will cross Wilson if they don't see cars coming, even though it's against the light. And there are taxis, buses, and delivery trucks stopped right on that corner all the time, so it's hard to tell if someone is pulled over because they're actually stopped, or if they're trying to make the turn, so if you're too laid back about it, there's the danger of someone trying to go around you and cutting you off from making the turn that way.

I'll go out of my way so that I don't have to make that turn, but when you're coming in from 50, there's no good way to avoid it, and when I come in to work from GW Parkway -- which is what I do when I'm coming straight in to work -- that's the way to come in.

Although there appeared to be a lot more cyclists in NY than I think I see in the DC area.