slower forum

Knuckledragger

Holy crap! Like they say, it trashes the saw. And if it was a regular table saw that sort of force would buckle the axle and frame, so an entire new saw. But better than a lost limb.

No, not at all. SawStop tables have a sacrificial aluminum cartridge that absorbs all the damage. And replacement is about $80.00.

SawStop tables are not only safer, but actually quite well designed tables. I plan on having one when I set up a bigger shop.

Edited by swt61

No, not at all. SawStop tables have a sacrificial aluminum cartridge that absorbs all the damage. And replacement is about $80.00.

SawStop tables are not only safer, but actually quite well designed tables. I plan on having one when I set up a bigger shop.

I saw this gizmo about 6 months ago, and since I've heard numerous news reports that regulators are getting very serious about mandating it in all table saws.

The guy that invented it is going to get rich as fuck.

Saw stop would love to see it on every saw made, especially since their licensing terms ask for 8% of each sale:

In January 2002, they appeared to have turned the corner when Ryobi agreed to license SawStop's technology. Under the terms of the deal, there would be no up-front fee; Ryobi would pay a 3% royalty based on the wholesale price of all saws sold with SawStop's technology. The number would increase to 8% if the majority of the industry also licensed the technology. It was not a get-rich-quick deal, but Gass believed it was a vital first step. http://www.inc.com/magazine/20050701/disruptor-gass_Printer_Friendly.html

the CPSC also mentioned they won't write the regulation to be specific to one protection method, assuming it does pass:

The Consumer Product Safety Commission is considering whether to create stricter standards for table saws, said spokesman Scott Wolfson. However, the standard will not necessarily benefit SawStop.

"The CPSC will not write a standard to help one company," Wolfson said. "The industry can find another way to meet the standard."

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2010/03/sawstop_saw_brake_safety_devic.html