What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

fdccfb43.jpg

70895253.jpg

at the “One Funky Afternoon” bottle release at Jackie O's...

starting w/a Grand Wazoo...

The Grand Wazoo:  This beer is essentially Black Betty (imperial raspberry vanilla porter) aged in a bourbon barrel with brett and raspberry puree added.  The beer was aged for a year and is truly unique.  Huge aromas of brett, chocolate, raspberries, vanilla, and sweet bourbon.  Unfortunately not the most attractive beer (the puree caused quite a mess, crazy haze, and some texture surprises) but it is still very tasty.  Next batch, I will use natural raspberries to ensure that they do not make it into the final product.  11.5%abv.

hopefully, i'll have some bottles of this when i leave...

23c2e3fa.jpg

Brown Recluse: This sour brown ale spent 20 months in oak barrels with brett, pedio, and lacto.  After 20 months, we moved the beer into a tank with 1 gallon of local maple syrup.  For the past 3 months the Brown recluse has been doing its thing in this tank with in our cellar.  Oaky, fruity, and tart.   5.5% abv around...

also hoping for bottles:)...spider...he is our hero...

b5c45488.jpg

Orange Oak: This beer started as an India Pale Wheat brewed with Pallisade and Amarillo hops.  Both of these hops produce orange/ tangerine likes flavors and aromas.  The IPW was then placed into an oak barrel and hit with some brett.  Months after the brett had taken hold, 20lbs of clementine flesh was added to the barrel.  Funky, dry, slightly bitter, and a big orange character.  8%...fingers crossed for bottles...

then a sample Joe the Plum...10.5% ABV Bourbin Barrel Aged Scottish w/plums...definitely different...hoping to get FFF to brew it (Plum Bob)...so many beers, but hafta leave to go next door for bottle draw...

ya...overt your eyes...

Black Tuesday

Surly Abrasive

Westvleteren 12

Firestone Walker 14

Bullfrog Double Coffee Stout

Walldorff Woody

Jackie O's Black Bretty

Jackie O's Quincedence

things are happening fast...sorry for lack of reviews...

Black Magick by Voodoo Brewing seriously good stuff

voodoo-black-magick.png

“This is an Imperial Stout that is brewed to great strength and complexity. We then gently age that beer in Elijah Craig 13 1/2 year old Bourbon Barrels for one year and then primed and bottled to bottle condition for continued aging and celler life (to achieve cask-like) characteristics. Black Magick should be able to be aged up to about 5 years, to heighten the complexity and smooth nature of this beer. This beer should be opened to breath, pour into snifter and enjoy at 55-60 F.”

Edited by jp11801

Red Hook

2 ounces rye

1/2 ounce Punt e Mes sweet vermouth

1/4 ounce maraschino liqueur

Dash of Angostura bitters

Dash of orange bitters

Combine ingredients in an ice-filled mixing glass and stir until cold. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

4ac15198-ce5f-c763.jpg

I really like Punt e Mes. I don't think this needs the angostura.

Also, Jim. I've found when subbing Boker's for Angostura, you have to put double the Boker's in typically, as it's much milder. I was sorta lukewarm on it until I began doing this.

I agree about the Bokers Marc, I usually err on the side of MOAR with Bitters anyway.

Tonight A Staggering Old Fashioned

3 oz George T. Stagg Bourbon

¼ oz sugar syrup

3 dashes The Bitter Truth Jerry Thomas’ Own Decanter bitters

1 dash Fee Brothers Whiskey-Barrel Aged bitters

1 dash Angostura Orange bitters

Add bitters and sugar syrup to an Old Fashioned glass and stir. Add the Bourbon and one giant ice cube, stir well for a minute or two. Twist a slice of orange zest on the drink and drop in to the glass.

IMG_0144.jpg

Well, that will certainly get your attention.