What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Started a DIY Hercules.

There is lots of ink spilled on what exactly this is, but it's something that many Savoy cocktails use. The best description seems to be:

"We have discovered conclusive evidence it was a fortified wine aperitif, spiced, and juiced up with Yerba Mate."

HerculesStrand1927.jpg

Recipe from Erik Ellestad:

Hercules #5

1 Stick Cassia Cinnamon, crushed

2 tsp. Coriander Seed, crushed

3 Cardamom Pods, crushed

8 Whole Cloves, crushed

1 tsp. Quinine Powder

1 tsp Gentian Root

1/4 Cup Yerba Mate

1 bag peppermint tea

Rind 2 Seville Oranges

Rind 1/2 Valencia Orange

1/2 cup Raw Sugar

750ml Quady Elektra Orange Muscat

1/4 cup Osocalis Brandy

METHOD: Combine spices, peel, yerba mate and wine. Heat to 160 degrees. Add mint and allow to steep for 15 minutes. Filter through chinois and add Brandy. Let stand for at least a day. Pour liquid off of sediment and through a coffee filter and bottle.

I more or less followed the recipe, the most noticeable substitution was the Brandy to take it up a notch (actually, this was the only brandy I had, other than Calvados and Absinthe). It took a while to track things down, so if anyone wants some of the raw ingredients here, let me know as I have plenty.

Pics!

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

Anvil:

Algonquin

1 1/2 oz Rye Whiskey

3/4 oz Dry Vermouth

3/4 oz Pineapple Juice

Shake with ice and serve sans garnish. My first drink with Vya Extra Dry and it's amazing here!

IMG_0828.JPG

Blinker

2 oz rye

1 oz fresh grapefruit juice.

1 tsp DIY raspberry syrup.

Shake with ice and serve with a lemon twist.

IMG_0829.JPG

ScoffLaw Cocktail

1 1/2 oz Sazerac rye whiskey

1 oz Dolin dry vermouth

3/4 oz lemon juice

3/4 oz pomegranate grenadine

Shake in an iced cocktail shaker and double strain into a cocktail glass.

Garnish with a lemon twist.

IMG_0107.jpg

Tonight's drink selections will be focused upon making room in the liquor cabinet.

The 2008 Saz is a nice one to finish off! Damn. Making a Scofflaw in moments.

Nice! For what it's worth, the Rittenhouse 100 is an excellent budget cocktail rye.

Thanks for the reco, I have a lot of rye in Mayberry and we will be living there full time while we do some remodeling in SF. Won't need to buy it for awhile, but the 100 is definitely the right pick over the 80.

2007 Blackbird Merlot-

blackbird_label_175_thumb.gif

another Yountville discovery.

This is a really good Merlot which has restored my faith in California Merlots. Very much like a good St. Emillion ora Pomerol but at one third the price.

Great label. I like Merlot and still think that Sideways did a terrible thing. I really need to get you onto my buddy's wine mailing list. Anybody else that wants to be added let me know. He is in Healdsburg, he gets great allocations of hard to find stuff, and ships anywhere in the US that is legal.

Using the Carpano with a weak flavored whiskey leaves the drink tasting too much like Carpano for me. I have noted the same with the Vya dry. To test it yourself make yourself a Vodkatini with the Vya dry.

That Hercules looks awesome Marc. I will be gathering ingredients for some after we return from the Biggie Apple so you should expect an upcoming PM.

Now drinking a DOTU approved Odd McIntyre

1 oz each Germain Robin, Cocchi Americano, Cointreau and Lemon Juice then shake and double strain into a cocktail glass.

IMG_0108.jpg

Hoop La! Frank Sullivan!

Edited by morphsci

Martinez Cocktail

(current Ellestad formulation)

1 1/2 oz Plymouth gin

3/4 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth

Scant teaspoon Luxardo Maraschino

Dash Angostura Orange Bitters

Dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice to chill and strain into a cocktail glass. Squeeze lemon peel over glass. Add a (preferably luxardo or toschi) cherry if you so desire.

4ac15198-93db-4968.jpg

Pink Lady #2

1.5 oz gin

0.5 oz applejack

0.75 oz lemon juice

splash grenadine

1 egg white

Shake with ice and strain!

4ac15198-9415-d0af.jpg

Awesome Hercules potion Marc! I want to make the Zed when Erik finishes the Savoy cocktails but I lack the demigod juice. :(

Now enjoying a Scofflaw with the meltdown colored Fees grenadine. Very timely and very tasty.

4b06eb81-83e8-7d75.jpg

I do like the look of the meltdown colored drink. :)

Agree about the Hercules, that looks awesome Marc!

Edited by shellylh