What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

For science: traditional Vieux Carre with Cocchi vermouth. Interesting results. The Benedictine is more apparent and the overall flavor is softer and sweeter. I quite liked the Bonal version and will use it again when the mood tends to bitterness. ;)

18056ae2-d2c9-0874.jpg

Edited by Voltron

So Al, which is better traditional or Bonal Vieux Carre? The less sweetness with the Bonal is intriguing me.

Edit: Oops you slipped in the description as I was typing this. Question answered

Edited by morphsci

Right on Fitz!

So Al, which is better traditional or Bonal Vieux Carre? The less sweetness with the Bonal is intriguing me.

Edit: Oops you slipped in the description as I was typing this. Question answered

I think I would make a Bonal version if I were going to make another right now (not ruled out as yet). If I were making it on the rocks instead of up like the postprohibition.com guy did, I think the Bonal would be even better because it would stand up to the ice and would make the drink more layered. A nice variation that I bet you would like a lot, Jim.

So Al, are Carpano and Cocchi similar and Bonal and Punt e Mas similar?

I don't have any Carpano right now, but by memory I prefer the Cocchi to it. I think the Carpano is so strong and overpowering that it was hard to mix with unless I knocked down the proportion. So I just tasted the Bonal and Punt y Mes and it was very interesting. The Punt y Mes is sweeter overall, and has a more bitter wine kind of profile. The Bonal is more grape and quinine mixed, with a better balanced and finish. I really like Bonal and plan to oeuvre m'appétit with it more often. Even though different, you could easily sub in Bonal where you might use Punt y Mes.

2efca979.jpg

Bell's Golden Rye...it's ok....just wanted to cross it off the list...would rather be drinkin' an Oarsman which they also have on tap...

1a2b23af.jpg

Bell's Raspberry Ale...again, crossing it off the list...will likely never deliberately have this again...