What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

It was lucky and I'm treasuring my last two bottles. I also still have Hopslam and several other little out of season oddities too.

Indeed, I have 1 Hopslam left and few other out of season/not available in FL brews stashed in my closet. The hardest part is convincing myself to drink them; knowing most of these cellar well doesn't help at all :palm:

It was lucky and I'm treasuring my last two bottles. I also still have Hopslam and several other little out of season oddities too.

Reminds me that I need to stock up on some breakfast stout once it's released again this year. Lucky bastard.

Edited by Fitz

Jim: "Cook" the Metaxa and cheeries together or just soak in the fridge together? 3 days minimum?

I like THIS recipe. You can do it with or without the spices and you can start using them in about two weeks but they do get better with age.

I never have a "go to bed" reaction. Sometimes I have a "lay down for a couple minutes" reaction which ends up with a "go to bed for 8 hours while fully dressed and hanging halfway off the bed". But it's never the intended result.

In most recipes for the Liberal, it calls for either bourbon or rye. For the sake of science, I decided to make one of each.

The Liberal

3/4 oz 101 proof Wild Turkey Rye or 94 proof 17yr Vintage Bourbon

3/4 oz Carpano Antica

3 dashes of Torani Amer

1 dash of Regan's Orange bitters

The result: Tie. They are both super excellent drinks and I love them both. If I had to choose one, I would go with the smoother and slightly sweeter 17yr Vintage Bourbon but if you asked me tomorrow or 20 minutes from now, I could easily change my mind. Better finish this post before I do change my mind again. ;)

iTNvf.jpg

I'm like you Jacob, I usually need to fall asleep immediately after drinking. And I might add that if I had those 12 beers I would probably be comatose.

Same here. If I had just the 6-pack of Stone IPA I'm definitely very tipsy at the very least and probably looking for my bed.

In The result: Tie. They are both super excellent drinks and I love them both. If I had to choose one, I would go with the smoother and slightly sweeter 17yr Vintage Bourbon but if you asked me tomorrow or 20 minutes from now, I could easily change my mind. Better finish this post before I do change my mind again. ;)

Good to know!

No, that is a shocker, Ric! :D

Beautiful Liberals, Shelly. You should get some Amaro Ciaciaro because it is more orangey than the Torani Amer and I think it is better tasting. Here is a clip from David Wondrich's Picon-matching experiment that Underhill quoted this week:

"After much nosing and not a little tasting, the closest match in aroma and taste proved to be the 60-proof Amaro Ciociaro. Now, it's not a perfect match (it's a little more herbal), and admittedly 60 proof isn’t the same as 78 proof, but it does a great job of evoking the clean orange notes of the old Picon without being nearly as watery as the new Picon. Plus it avoids the vegetal notes of the Torani, which are entirely absent in the old Picon."

Edited by Voltron