What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Oh so I did get to try the two bottles of Rittenhouse Rye 25yo on Tuesday night... Cask 6 and 12...

Here is my friend Steffen (Denmark) very happy to get his bottle.

9zWfB.jpg

I really liked both, but they were really different. The barrel 6 was a little more woodie, and had a stronger Rye taste and was a little astringent. The cask 12 bottle was smoother overall and drank a little more like a bourbon - more of a balanced beverage overall for me. But was glad that I got to try them both. Steffen took the cask 6 bottle. And it will be shared around Denmark when he gets back... with a nod to HC...

icon_smoke.gif

3b507d5f.jpg

Right Brain Sour Owl...aged “a really long time” in oak barrels...definite wine notes...can a sour be considered a session?...I'd say so...

then some bottles of Three Floyds Zombie Dust...cool labels that the iPhone couldn't capture...

2cacf1e6.jpg

let's try this again during the day...considered having my picture taken in the fetal position spooning the growler...

5b594688.jpg

Cigar City Hunahpu aged in Virgin Oak...

my friends & I are very appreciative to have had the chance to try this...& it did not suck:)...I even saved some for coffee the next day...

The Great Orange Liqueur Experiment, Part Deux

Bonal and Rye with Cointreau, Clement Creole Shrubb and Mandarine Napoleon

b8beee72.jpg

I will edit this later but right now Cointreau is out and it is neck and neck between the shrubb and the shorty.

I have to agree with Al and Claire, the Cointreau just seems relatively uninteresting or flat compared to the others. It is still a good drink but not great. The Shrubb is on the other end, because it has a prominent rum taste it adds a lot of complexity to the drink. In this case a bit too much, but it has a nice finish and the most bite. The Mandarine takes a little of the bite out of the rye which at first seems bad, but in the long run it has a nice complexity and does the best job of blending and complementing the flavors of the rye and Bonal.

Edited by morphsci