What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

The Satan's Whiskers enroulee is my favorite of the three. The Mandarine Napoleon was excellent straight and I preferred it to the creole shrubb. The Old Pal looked good so gave one a try next with the Rittenhouse.

d03c8873.jpg

I can give the margarita a try when I pick up some limes Marc.

It's Scottish beer and Scotch whisky pairing day in Mayberry. I have three different BrewDog beers aged in whisky casks and Mikey brought over the matching whiskies to pair with them. First up, BrewDog Paradox Isle of Arran paired with two different Arran malts, one a young malt from the 3rd or 4th year of the distillery and the second the standard 10 year old Arran available today.

web.jpg?ver=13169902860001

web.jpg?ver=13169902930001

Very nice, but the brew was quite flat and perhaps a bit past its prime. The 10 yo whisky is rich and smooth and woody, while the young'n has a completely different mouth feel and a more light and citrusy palette. Both whiskies are excellent and the pairing works out nicely but the beer falls a bit short. Both of these whiskies were opened freshly, so that is something special. Thanks Mikey!

Next, we moved to a Mortlach death match. The Divine Rebel Mortlach Reserve, which I believe Duggeh brought all the way from fair Scotland last time he visited, paired with the Gordon & MacPhail Reserve Mortlach distilled in 1994 and bottled in 2007.

web.jpg?ver=13169902770001

web.jpg?ver=13169903000001

NOW THIS IS SOMETHING TRULY SPECIAL. Wow, do these two match up beautifully. Thanks Duggeh for this beauty, and thanks Mikey for opening yet another bottle eve though you had two Mortlach bottles open at home. :)

nice call on the Pliny..

wine seems in order:

Alban Vineyards - 1999 - Reva (Edna Valley Syrah)

2Cu54.jpg

Very, very much approve! cheerleader.gif I had no idea you were a Syrah fan. Mikey FTMFW!!!!

As for me, 2005 Marchese Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva

antinori marchese ccr.jpg

Edited by Augsburger

The Mandarine Napoleon was excellent straight and I preferred it to the creole shrubb.

I need to pick up a bottle of that next time I'm at the spirits warehouse!

Back in town and just catching up with this thread. Lots of great looks pics and drinks! I really like Marc's Rainbow Cocktail. Now to figure out what to make...

Edited by shellylh

Nice layered Rainbow Marc! Well done!

I thought I already posted the third rep but booze, and Mikey and my niece dropping by with her in-laws threw me off.

The last of the BrewDogs was the Smokehead and Mikey provided an Ardbeg and a Lagavulin (both new bottles!!) to pair with it. Although very nice it did not have the perfect synthesis that the Mordlach combo was sporting.

web.jpg?ver=13169940620001

web.jpg?ver=13169940760001

Super tasty nonetheless and I managed a dram of the Single Malt Whisky Society Macallan that Mikey had in his box of wonders. Awfully tasty stuff and a wonderful way to spend a sunday afternoon. :D

Trying to decide between the Liberal and the Boulevardier. The Liberal won out.

Liberal

3/4 oz Vintage Bourbon 17yr

3/4 oz Cocci Torani

3 dashes of Amaro CioCiaro (sub for Amer Picon)

1 dash of Regans' Orange Bitters

I think I like the version with Carpano Antica and Torani Amer, obviously scientific experimentation is in order.

Ul8pF.jpg

That pic makes me sad, Shelly, as I sit eating a re-heated bowl of the same pasta I had re-heated last night. Nicely done, Chef Shelly!

To advance science and help out Marc, I have been conducting Margarita Mixing Experiments tonight, ably assisted by Claire. Given the recent addition of Mandarin Napoleon into our Liqueur Lexicon, Marc was wondering how it fared in 1-1-1 Margaritas. I decided it was best to do a comparison, so I chose the obvious, Cointreau, plus Clement Creole Shrubb. The first round was made with equal parts of Fortaleza Reposado, fresh lime, and each of the three liqueurs.

web.jpg?ver=13170963800001

Claire and I agreed that the Cointreau was the easiest to eliminate. It was the most bland, but probably the most tart if you like that kind of thing. The Creole Shrubb is excellent and flavorful with a bit of sweetness. The Napoleon was very flavorful but I think there was a weird interaction with the tequila. I tasted it as an herbal edge but Claire thought it was more of a rind or oil kind of thing. Either way, it was interesting but not my favorite.

Next, I thought that the blanco might be worth trying so I made a couple of small ones with the Shrubb and the Napoleon.

web.jpg?ver=13170963670001

The differences were smaller, but the same overtones were there. I think that the blanco meshed better with the Napoleon, but the next Margarita I make will be with the Shrubb regardless of the tequila.

That said, the Napoleon has worked very well in the other cocktails I have made and is very tasty on its own.

• Like 1

nope...~25 minute walk to MacNiven's dntown Indy...had a few then walked back...cracked open a bomber of Lord Admiral Nelson...

but I miss working dispatch overnight at the Convention Center/Hoosier Dome...not certain what drinking coffee at this time of night'd do to me these days...