What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

I met up with Brian/BHJazz and his lovely wife Lisa at Jasper's Corner Tap for a couple of drinks. I started with a Cloudkicker, which is a confection of gin, cynar, chartreuse, and campari and then I had an End of the Affair, which has Dry sherry, Hennessey Cognac, Rocky’s Bitters, honey, and champagne or something like that. Brian started with a rum swizzle and then had an Old Speckled Hen, while Lisa stuck to white wine. Good times catching up after four years since I last saw them at HeadFest in 2007.

Now having a High Water Hop Riot back in Mayberry. Cheers Brian and Lisa! And nice looking cocktails and whiskies tonight, btw!

screen-shot-2011-09-05-at-2-02-05-pm.png

Edited by Voltron

059bb137.jpg

comparing the “normal” Ethiopian Yirgacheffe (left) to one made in an Aeropress (right)...Gonna go with the one on the right...

I should probably be using a mug for both coffees, but I think that's one of the contributing factors behind me getting the 2nd coffee free:)...

maybe this will finally give me the energy to post my weekend exploits...

John and I got together today for a head-case oak park meet. Went to lunch, bought beer, then came back and previewed some stuff for an upcoming tasting.

post-844-13162027397855_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys!

Nice time, thanks, Bryan!

Great company, and that KBS is awesome!

Edited by jvlgato

Ok...last weekend I celebrated my unemployment by co-hosting a beer tasting at my buddy Joe's house...the theme was beers that were perhaps past their prime:)...stuff that, for whatever reason, no one ever got around to drinking...

89ca2592.jpg

We started with the Rockmill Brewery (near Columbus/Lancaster, Ohio) Tripel...didn't fit our theme, but it was cold & piqued our interest when we saw it in Joe's fridge...this was an all-around winner...I'm going to try to find more from them...we've all had our share of Tripels & this was solid...

19413044.jpg

Dogfish Head Wrath of Pecant...made with carabs & plantains...for a while, this was only available in Reheboth & was not allowed to leave the brewery...I got this from the main guy at World Class Beverage...it should've been cracked long ago, but was perfectly suited for the event...strange character to it that I can't say really clicked, but possibly the best smelling beer I've ever had:)...wow...look for carab & plantain candles to be the next big thing...

3d984529.jpg

Pierre Celis Signature Selection Grotten Brown...found this at an often overlooked local store...they don't have that great of a selection & it looked like they had forgotten about this in the back & just put it out recently...they haven't brewed this in years & Pierre Celis passed away recently...it wasn't stupendous, but it didn't seem off in any way to me...not sure what the others thought of it...I think they were underwhelmed & just wanted to get to some of the other stuff...

00b560cc.jpg

Cigar City 110K=OT Batch #3...a beer named after a troll on a beer forum:)...they do a different version of this each year...this one I should've drank right away but didn't...a kindly HC'er also got me some Batch #4 so it was time for this to go:)...my honest impression is that it was just too convoluted...so many things going on that the beer just didn't work...& it wasn't like there were many layers, it was like a mishmosh of flavors...strangely, I think we all still enjoyed it...but we all shared an inquisitive look while finishing it...

4b23b46a.jpg

Jackie O's Oil of Aphrodite...another from Joe's fridge mixed into the old...I'e enjoyed everything I've had from Jackie O's...one of my favorite breweries...it was nice of Joe to share it & even nicer of him to give me a bottle for introducing him to the brewery...I wasn't able to attend their last bottle release...

I'm realizing now that I have zero pictures of the star of the show, the FFF Fantabulous Resplendence X...damn...well it's a strong ale they put out four or five years ago for their anniversary...it held up really well...obviously, it lost some of its hops...I've got two more bottles, I'll try to manage a pic...

7fc71e3e.jpg

758b302a.jpg

Stone 03.03.03 & 04.04.04...ya...I know how much these are worth, but these two were separated from the group & didn't make it to the cellar...they'd been boxed up for a trade I arranged long ago & then forgot about...they were in that box over the summer so I wasn't sure what they might've been through...turns out they were fine (more than fine!), but I didn't want to trade them to someone & have it come back on me...IIRC, three of us preferred the 04.04.04 & one the 03.03.03...

6a692010.jpg

Alesmith Yulesmith (Summer)...a seasonal from a few seasons ago:)...let that one go for toooo long...

5ae2c36b.jpg

French Broad Wee-Heavy-Er...um...probably one of the worst Wee Heavies I've ever had...unsure of where Joe got this one so perhaps it was, indeed, past its prime...

3cbd67ba.jpg

Smuttynose Maibock from their Big Beer Series...great series, great beer...one of the best of the style...drink Smuttynose...

f7439015.jpg

a Southern Tier Un*Earthly made before they used the fluorescent green paint...wow...guess how that was...eek...

ba344747.jpg

the same friend who brought the ST brought a waxed Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree...I don't know when they stopped waxing them, but I'd never seen a waxed one before...

we got into some other stuff, but it's a little hazy after this:)...it was basically four guys interested in beer & then four people that were just there heh...one of Joe's neighbors came over w/a Coors Light in his hand...& I think the only two girls there were pouring out some of the beers we poured...

a6cd8bbd-f954-a594.jpg

Flying Horse Royal Lager Beer while waiting for my take out Indian. When in Mumbai, I always say...

Fun tasting story emelius. I like the picture of the Coors Lite guy and the ladies tipping out their beers. Oh well, you can't expect everyone to understand.

Edited by Voltron

Fun tasting story emelius. I like the picture of the Coors Lite guy and the ladies tipping out their beers. Oh well, you can't expect everyone to understand.

it was actually a can of Coors Light & a bag of cherries...can't make this shit up...but he's a hard-working roofer & quality guy...just wish he was willing to try our wares...& it was amusing to see the reaction of the two women when I told them that the 03.03.03 I was about to open is worth $150+ haha...I should've said that about every bottle...

I'm currently having a New Belgium Blue Paddle Pilsener...