What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Al, sorry to hear about your friend with intestinal cancer. I imagine that is not a fun cancer to have (not that any cancer is any fun). I don't know what is the outlook for this type but hope she pulls through.

On the other had, that is a fantastic Manhattan!

Last night I did a little Manhattan taste-off (really to test the new Cocci Torino).

Manhattans

1 oz Sazerac Rye

1/2 oz Cocci Torino or Carpano Antica

1 dash Angostura bitters

1 Griottine cherry

The Cocci Torina is fantastic! It has lovely flavor, similar Carpano Antica but a bit more subdued and a little less bitter. I can really see this as a great vermouth for mixing (whereas, often the Carpano Antica overpowers the other ingredients). I cannot decide which Manhattan I like better but I think I like the CA one better... but they are both really good. I am excited to find a fantastic sweet vermouth in a 750ml bottle.

Oh, and the Griottine cherries are fantastic. They taste like cherry pie. :)

AXrbj.jpg

shitty, shitty day so I'll be brief...

I did LOF Kick & La Folie back to back & it didn't feel like La Folie was dissolving my taste buds this time...but I still don't pick up anything interesting in it...not to say it isn't good, and not to say every good beer has to be complex, but it was kind of boring & at points was a chore to drink...one of my friends says it used to be better...maybe I'll try to source an older vintage...this as '10...

Kick is wearing on me a bit...I still say drink it...but don't stock up on it for the season & expect to love it every time...a unique seasonal--a citrus wallop...get some...

Guinness Black Lager...a new Guinness?...had to try it...now I've tried it...it's dreadful...

Sun King Oktoberfest...great when fresh...really diggin' it...but $16 for a 4-pack of 16oz cans?...no thanks...looks like they're using the same can for all their special seasonals & just slappin' different stickers on there...no reason for it to be that expensive less than a mile from the brewery...

Sierra Nevada Ovila Saison (not Ovila Dubbel)...another in the series of collabs with The Abbey of New Clairvaux...nothing amazing, but, like the Dubbel, solid, not that expensive, presents well...recommended...

more this weekend...

Edited by emelius

Too bad about colds and shitty days, but tomorrow is another day.

Although not quite cask strength, I needed some whiskey treatment when I got home too. The Sazerac Cocktail I am now enjoying with Rittenhouse 25/Gum Syrup/Peychauds/Opaline Absinthe/Large Zest of Lemon proves that life ain't all bad. Damn fine drink.

web.jpg?ver=13155337820001

Cheers friends!

Old Fashioned

Use old-fashioned cocktail glass. Sugar, 1 lump. Seltzer, 1 dash, and crush sugar with muddler. Ice, one square piece. Orange bitters, 1 dash. Angostura bitters, 1 dash. Lemon peel, 1 piece. Whiskey, 1 jigger. Stir gently and serve with spoon.

4ac15198-7ea9-5afc.jpg

This is easily the best bourbon i have ever had, which includes Pappy and Antique Collection. Haven't had Parkers. Any opinions on this matter?