What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

I'm pretty sure that Long Island Iced Tea always had a bit of cola for coloring.
Nope -- explicitly no cola. I don't know how they got the color that they got, I want to say dark rum. But yes to everything else, that sounds correct -- basically, one of everything behind the bar. Strong and trashy. I distinctly remember describing it as a "time bomb" -- you only needed one or two to keep a buzz going over the course of the night. Of course, I was in my 20's at the time.

Nope -- explicitly no cola. I don't know how they got the color that they got, I want to say dark rum. But yes to everything else, that sounds correct -- basically, one of everything behind the bar. Strong and trashy. I distinctly remember describing it as a "time bomb" -- you only needed one or two to keep a buzz going over the course of the night. Of course, I was in my 20's at the time.

Yeah I think if you used a dark rum and an Anejo tequila you could lose the cola.

Edited by morphsci

I don't think that an actual Long Island Iced Tea was ever 100% alcohol. It always has a sweetener (sugar or simple syrup), some lemon juice or sweet and sour mix, and some Cola for color and more sweetening. Yes, it is kind of like one of every basic spirit behind the bar but it is also sweet and easy drinking, whereas just gin/vodka/tequila/rum/triple sec on ice would be way more fiery and way less popular.

I just finished half a HC cairn glass of this

You should finish the other half because that stuff is way too good to waste! ;)

Edited by Voltron

Just cracked one of my remaining Founders Imperial Stouts that's been sitting for 6 months. Aroma has really become amazing on this one, but the taste hasn't mellowed out yet with a lot of roasted bitterness and dark chocolate. Overall it doesn't seem quite as hot as I remember, which is definitely a good thing.

Cheers everyone, it's Friday.

43a763f8-fa11-dde5.jpg

You should finish the other half because that stuff is way too good to waste! ;)

Indeed, it's been my first experience with straight rye whiskey and I'm pleasantly impressed. I guess people don't use this same one to prepare the Sazerac cocktail, do they?

Just cracked one of my remaining Founders Imperial Stouts that's been sitting for 6 months. Aroma has really become amazing on this one, but the taste hasn't mellowed out yet with a lot of roasted bitterness and dark chocolate. Overall it doesn't seem quite as hot as I remember, which is definitely a good thing.

Cheers everyone, it's Friday.

43a763f8-fa11-dde5.jpg

I hate you! :)

Happy Friday everyone. Drinking a black and tan right now

I find the Blackwoods a smooth gin in much the same way Sazerac 18 is a smooth rye. They both lack some of the bite of their relatives. Having said that I have not used the Blackwoods in a G&T. Plus I rarely measure my anything and tonic but my guess is it probably is around a 2:1 ratio.

Blackwood's/Fever Tree G&T

I made this with a 2:1 ratio of tonic to gin. What is your preferred ratio? I feel that this could use a bit more gin. It is good though.

I use roughly 2:1 (not measured), and just take a sip after I make it then add more gin or tonic if necessary.

Added a little extra Blackwood's to the G&T and it was moar better!

Had some 2009 Seghesio Zinfandel with pizza and then fell asleep. I really need to get over this jet lag, either that or I am getting old. ;)

A double sazerac, made from Sazerac 18 and Lucid

Nice, how is Lucid?

a6cd8819-1cc5-8601.jpg

Monte Carlo cocktail with Rittenhouse rye, Benedictine and orange bitters. I'm waiting for my son so we can go see Casablanca with the SF Symphony playing the score.

Have fun Al!

9a40ab70.jpg

I got teh jealouz of Bryan so I cracked one of these open

Damn you Raffy. ;)