What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Nice Mike! I am having an Aviation Cocktail in honor of my vacation coming to an end and the flight home on Saturday that I dread.

5d682495-19d9-6a3f.jpg

Aviation made with The Duke gin, Luxardo maraschino, lemon juice and Bitter Truth Creme de Violette, which I have never seen before. One if the two owners of the Bitter Truth used to work at this bar and is good friends with the bartender/waiter who had been taking such good care of us.

5d682495-11f9-d673.jpg

Claridge Cocktail with The Duke Bavarian dry gin, Noilly Prat dry vermouth, Bols apricot liqueur, orange bitters and an orange twist. Dry and fruity and tasty.

I was curious about The Duke so the bartender said he would give me a bit to taste. (still waiting--he's busy)

I should have asked for these bitters.

5d682495-1405-3e81.jpg

Are the bitters themselves sexy or do they make the consumer sexy?

Self service bars are fun! Looks like a great day all around, Ric.

I got up and headed out for a tour of Dachau concentration camp. It was five hours or so with train/bus rides and three hours of tour and short film. Incredibly interesting and moving to be in a place as notorious and disturbing as that. Never Forget and Never Again, indeed.

After that sobering experience, I needed a drink, so I am watching the Tour de France in my hotel with a snack and a Franziskaner Dunkel Weiss.

5d682fbd-13dc-bb3f.jpg

Boer & Brit, "The Field Marshall". Blend of Tinta Amarela, Syrah, Mourvedre, Grenache and Carignan.

bb_final_for_web-NEW3-580x773.jpg

OK wine, fun marketing blurb. The wine makers are, respectively, the great-great-grandsons of President Paul Kruger (the main Afrikaner political leader of the Second Boer War) and Field Marshall John Denton Pinkstone French (one of the top British commanders during the conflict).

Bygones and all that.

Here's wishing good flight films heading home Al.

Damn mixers seem to be shut off at this bar this morning. Able to make a Seven and Seven at least. The cleaning woman doesn't have a trusting look in her eyes though.

Alternately, Alpamanta estate & Lamadrid single vineyard reserva malbecs
Finished these last night -- have to change my tune. The Lamadrid was "alright", and the Alpamanta was "off" (and I don't mean in a general way, I mean specifically this bottle was off, so would be unfair to judge without trying another bottle). I was drinking the Alpamanta first that night, and it tainted my tastebuds.

5d682fbd-60e2-5a08.jpg

Claire popped the last beer in the fridge, and we split it while letting our feet rest before dinner. I haven't walked this much on a daily basis in a long time.

I was tired enough to forget to take pics of our last drinks at the hotel restaurant, but they were good ones. I had a rye sour and Claire a sidecar. A glass of Austrian white wine with the meal was the closer.

This has been a fantastic trip and I absolutely love Germany. People were right when they said the tourist invasion takes a lot away from Prague, but I could move into the Ameriky Bar for a good long while.

Thanks for all the well wishes along the way folks. Auf wedershen.