What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

It is remarkably yummy, Raffy! I think this beer is so much his style that Dusty would jizz after one sip! :peter:

The Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye is hard to beat. I'm going to line up Saz18, Thos. Handy, and VW and see which i like the most. They are different animals to some extent though, so variety is good regardless. :P

You just reminded me to get more rye so I went out and got a bottle of Thomas Handy. Not sure which vintage I got though (129.0 Proof). Pretty smooth for a barrel proof spirit but I had to cut it with a little water just get a better taste.

2008 Ojai Syrah -- my first syrah, so I withhold judgment. I do like that back-of-the-throat burn.

If you let the Syrah breathe for 2-4 hours that burn should mellow quite a bit and the earthy fruit should become more prominent.

Gypsy Cocktail

Dating to the mid-1930s, the Gypsy demonstrates vodka’s utility in drinks with strongly flavored liqueurs; here, the spirit’s neutrality gives the potent flavor of the herbal liqueur Bénédictine room to expand while also tempering the liqueur’s sweetness.

2 oz. vodka

1 oz. Bénédictine

1 dash Angostura bitters

Ice cubes

Tools: mixing glass, barspoon, strainer

Glass: cocktail

Combine ingredients in a mixing glass and add ice. Stir well for 20 seconds and strain into a chilled glass.

Adapted from Esquire Drink Book, 1956

4ac15198-e5cd-0dda.jpg

Edited by luvdunhill

Frisco

Murray Stenson typically uses Old Overholt rye whiskey in this classic Bénédictine cocktail. If you use bourbon or another brand of rye, Stenson suggests adjusting the amount of whiskey to your personal taste.

2 oz. rye whiskey

1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice

1/2 oz. Bénédictine

Ice cubes

Tools: shaker, strainer

Pour ingredients into a cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake well for 10 seconds, then strain into a chilled glass.

Adapted by Murray Stenson, Zig Zag Café, Seattle

4ac15198-f3a3-7dea.jpg

Remember the Maine

Looking for something to do with that bottle of Cherry Heering? This delicious classic is the perfect answer.

2 oz. rye whiskey

3/4 oz. sweet vermouth

2 tsp. Cherry Heering

1/2 tsp. absinthe, or absinthe substitute

Ice cubes

Tools: mixing glass, barspoon, strainer

Garnish: cherry

Combine ingredients in a mixing glass, fill with ice and stir briskly for 20 seconds. Strain into a chilled glass and garnish.

Adapted from The Gentleman's Companion by Charles H. Baker, Jr., 1939

4ac15198-0322-5ef4.jpg