What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Amidst the honey-dos, slow cooking a brisket like the anti-cocktail Floridian (hopefully), and managing a play date for my son and helping to build his model tank for a school project, I got the idea that a fizzy cocktail would be good this afternoon. I am brilliant apparently, because it was awesome and made everything better.

Gin Fizz Tropical (Heaven's Dog variation on Charles Barker)

2oz dry gin

1oz lime juice

1/2oz pineapple gomme syrup

1/2oz orgeat

1/2 egg white (1 tbsp)

Chilled soda water

Mint leaf and lime wedge for garnish

Mix and shake all ingredients except soda without ice and then with ice, and strain into a Collins glass with no ice. Fill with soda, slap mint leaf and skewer with lime.

Note, I had no orgeat so I upped the gomme to 3/4 and added a couple drops of almond extract. I also lacked mint, so subbed in a strawberry. Worked nicely all around.

a6cd8a94-4897-6853.jpg

Edited by Voltron

Damn, that looks good AL. Need to pick up some eggs for tomorrow.

Consoling myself with a Fairbank Cocktail

1 3/4 oz gin

3/4 oz dry vermouth

2 dashes orange bitters

2 dashes creme de noyeaux

Stir, strain and garnish with a cherry.

IMG_0153.jpg

All out of cherries too.

you're likely missing out on much flavor drinking red wines chilled, Dusty.
No, no, I understand that. It's a patience thing -- once I pour the glass, I want it NAO. It's an effort not to drink it right away. I've had the best luck when I pour a glass first thing when I get home from work, put it up on a shelf, forget about it, go about my evening, feed the kitties, etc. Then much later get around to drinking it.

The Final Punto was just a meh wine -- it needed to be chilled to subdue some of the flavors I didn't like.

With the Y+B, it was back to just the patience thing.

So in essence, I'm agreeing with you, at least in theory.

What is common wisdom for optimal drinking temperature for wines?

Looking good Mike and Raffy! I am hoping my glasses survive being shipped to the construction site that is my home in SF. :blink:

Last night, I followed a couple recipes from Gary Regan's Cocktailian column with some new NYC neighborhood cocktail variations. They were both tasty, although the Williamsburg with WLW cask strength was too much for Claire. I loved it and the Brooklyn Heights was perfect for her.

Brooklyn Heights

Adapted from a recipe by Maxwell Britten of New York's Freemans.

* -- Campari in a mister

* 1 1/2 ounces Rittenhouse 100-proof rye

* 1/4 ounce Luxardo Amaro Abano

* 1/2 ounce Luxardo maraschino liqueur

* 1/2 ounce dry vermouth

* 2 dashes Regans' Orange Bitters No. 6

Instructions: Mist a chilled cocktail glass with the Campari. Stir the remaining ingredients over ice and strain into the prepared glass. [NOTE: without a mister I just did a wash of Campari in the glass and that worked perfectly well. Also, I did not have the Abano so I used Averna]

web.jpg?ver=13025656200001

Williamsburg

Adapted from a recipe by Clif Travers of Brooklyn's Bar Celona.

* 3/4 ounce yellow Chartreuse

* 3/4 ounce dry vermouth

* 3/4 ounce Punt e Mes

* 2 1/2 ounces W.L. Weller bourbon

* 1 orange twist, as garnish

Instructions: Stir all the ingredients, except the orange twist, over ice and strain into a chilled coupe. Add the garnish.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/04/08/FDQ61I8LFU.DTL#ixzz1JGUo7A5Z

web.jpg?ver=13025656180001

f7ca1374.jpg

Sierra Nevada Ovila Dubbel again...I like it more this time 'round...it's just very pleasant...but i think you'd have a hard time picking up on all the characteristics the label mentions...beyond subtle...just a couple ticks above being bland...