What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Alright slackers, here is the Head-Case challenge cocktail! Dew eet!

Jerry Thomas Mississippi Punch

2 oz brandy (man up and use Armangac)

0.5 oz overproof rum

0.5 oz overproof rye

0.5 oz water

1.5 tbsp (!) powdered sugar

Juice of half a lemon

Muddle sugar, water and lemon juice in a bar glass. In a shaker, stir with crushed ice the booze. Mix into glass and garnish with seasonal fruits.

4ac15198-12a8-5455.jpg

Satisfies Anvil and your sobriety!

Looking at my list I need a good bourbon. I really cannot get a good bourbon here :( Shelly, any recommendations from Specs?

Here's what Specs downtown currently has.

http://www.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/search?keyword=bourbon&Category=Entire+Store|...|All+Items

Depending on your definition of "good," I would go with

Parker's 27yr (ok... maybe not for mixing at $188 but sure is damn tasty)

Parker's Golden Anniversary (haven't tried and probably not so good for mixing at $142)

Ok... now I will be serious.

I have been mixing with Vintage Bourbon 17yr and I really like it. It lists for $63 but it usually on sale for around $50. For slightly cheaper, you could go with Wild Turkey Rare Breed (barrel proof) or Eagle Rare 10yr.

Oooh, I see that they have Thomas Handy and William Larue Weller Bourbon in right now... gotta pick me up another bottle of each. I can pick you up some if you want Marc (if they don't have them where you are). And, you should get a bottle of WLW!

Edited by shellylh

Thanks Shelly! Of course, I cannot get any of those.. I decided to take a chance on the Russell Reserve 10 year bourbon. We will see.

Haven't tried it but since it is made by Wild Turkey, it is probably good.

Man, I need a real drink. This Ocean Spray cran-pomegranate ain't cutting it. Maybe there's a fax at the nurse's station. :huh:

Yeah, no good Al. :( What do you want faxed?

Edited by shellylh

Thanks Dan, great start! I will be stowing one in my car trunk at all times now. Shelly, a Manhattan with some Tennessee whiskey would be perfect. My Memphis-born mom's favorite cocktail. Thanks!

Coming right up. ;)

Time for me to battle the Wray and Nephew. Following Marc's advice, I decided to use it in a Knickerbocker. I think it was a good decision. This rum sure does have kick and a distinctive flavor but it works really well here.

Knickerbocker

2 oz Wray & Nephew overproof rum

1/2 oz Senor Curacao

1/2 oz Monin Raspberry Syrup

3/4 oz fresh lemon juice

1 orange slice

DZVI6.jpg

Need to kill this bottle of Bacardi, which worked out well as I was a bit short for the second drink and made it up with W&N, which turned out to be an amazing drink!

Daiquiri

2 oz rum

Juice of 1/2 lime

1 tsp powdered sugar

Add sugar and juice lime. Stir. Add lime hull. Add crushed ice into up glass to chill. Add crushed ice to mixing vessel. Add rum. Remove ice from glass. Shake and double strain.

4ac15198-5580-f7c0.jpg

Hemingway Daiquiri

1.5 oz rum

0.5 oz overproof rum

0.75 oz lime juice

1 tsp powdered sugar

1 tsp grapefruit juice

1 tsp maraschino liqueur

Same as above. Serve on ice. Garnish with a cherry.

4ac15198-4ee2-73e1.jpg

Mint Julep

3 sprigs fresh mint

1 sugar cube

3 ounces bourbon

1 additional mint sprig for garnish

Place the sugar cube and 3 mint sprigs into your glass, add a small splash of water, and gently muddle to break up the sugar and release the oils from the mint. Pack the glass with crushed ice and add the bourbon. Gently slide a barspoon through the ice and lightly stir mix the bourbon through the muddled mint. Garnish with the remaining mint.

4ac15198-59a4-e79c.jpg

And an action pic of my 5 year old in his first T-Ball game

4ac15198-545b-01a9.jpg

Edited by luvdunhill

Nice overproof Knickerbocker Shelly. Marc, what can I say, you are a cocktail beast. As far as Bourbon, just buy a couple of bottles of van Winkle Lot B. That is pretty much my house Bourbon.

An appropriate cocktail for tonight The (Bloody) Income Tax Cocktail

1 1/2 oz Junipero Gin

3/4 oz Dolin Dry Vermouth

3/4 oz Carpano Antica

1/2 oz Moro Blood Orange Juice

2 dashes Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters

Shake, double strain and pour into a cocktail glass.

IMG_0123.jpg

Repeat until your taxes come out correctly.

Nice overproof Knickerbocker Shelly. Marc, what can I say, you are a cocktail beast. As far as Bourbon, just buy a couple of bottles of van Winkle Lot B. That is pretty much my house Bourbon.

Hard to find in Houston except in Fall. Probably quite difficult to get in Austin. I actually like the Vintage Bourbon 17yr much better, it is easier to find here, and it is around the same price point.

Hard to find in Houston except in Fall. Probably quite difficult to get in Austin. I actually like the Vintage Bourbon 17yr much better, it is easier to find here, and it is around the same price point.

It's sold out everywhere (the vintage). It's on sale now, hence the run on stock.

*Anvil*

East India Cocktail

Seems that there are two variations (one with raspberry syrup and one with pineapple gomme/syrup... the Anvil list calls for pineapple gomme). I didn't have any pineapple syrup/gomme so I made one with raspberry syrup and one with pineapple juice (but doubled the amount of juice). Both good but I prefer the one with raspberry syrup - that is just how I roll.

3/2 oz Cerbois VSOP Armagnac

1/4 oz Monin Raspberry syrup (drink 1) or 1/2 oz pineapple juice (drink2)

1 dash Angostura bitters

1/2 tsp Senor Curacao

1/2 tsp Luxardo Maraschino liqueur

g27wH.jpg

Edited by shellylh