What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Anvil

Well, this is a fun one to experiment with. I tried three versions and settled with this one, which is really nice.... A+. And, sorry Anvil. Just say no to Campari.

Tailspin

Equal parts:

Old Raj

Green Chartreuse

Carpano Antica

A dash of Fee's West Indies Orange Bitters

Stir.

4ac15198-c85a-14ed.jpg

Edited by luvdunhill

The Liberal looks awesome Jim!

I have a friend of mine that is visiting who is a cocktail fan so I got some more ingredients from the store to work on the Anvil list.

Started with a Blackthorn before our delicious barbequed ribeye steak dinner

2 Dashes Angostura Bitters

2 Dashes Vieux Carre Absinthe

1 oz 8yr Black Louth Irish Whiskey

1 oz Dolin Dry Vermouth

I thought it was quite interesting, and good. Should have bought some Redbreast 12 to make it with but I bought the Redbreast 15 instead and didn't want to waste it in a cocktail that I may or may not have liked.

DXiMe.jpg

Next was

Mai Tai

that was stolen by the hubbie (he does like those sweet rummie drinks, I liked it quite a bit too!)

2 oz Vizcaya rum

1/2 oz Monin almond syrup (sub for orgeat)

1/2 oz Cointreau (sub for curacao)

1/2 oz fresh lime juice

1xPca.jpg

Last drink of the night

Rusty Nail

3/2 oz Macallan 12 scotch

1/2 oz Drambuie

I would like to try this with an Islay scotch.

5bmnw.jpg

Edited by shellylh

Nice drinkies, cocktail buddie. And nice pic Dinny, and nice glass Peter. I let the pros at Heaven's Dog handle the duty tonight. First was a Biarritz Monk Buck, which was very tasty and refreshing. Then, I had a Vesper of the bartender's choice. For after dinner I had a Rum & Honey, which is essentially the HC rum old fashioned that Marc made except with honey instead of simple syrup or a muddled sugar cube, and a very cool hand-sawn chunk of ice. HD recipes below.

Biarritz Monk Buck

Recipe from Erik Adkins, Heaven's Dog

Makes 1 drink

Ice

2 ounces Armagnac

1 ounce fresh lemon juice

¾ ounce simple syrup (1 part sugar dissolved in 1 part simmering water)

½ ounce yellow Chartreuse

½ ounce ginger solution*

1 ounce soda water

Lemon wheel, for garnish

Fill a shaker with ice. Add the Armagnac, lemon juice, simple syrup, Chartreuse and ginger solution and shake for 10 seconds. Strain into an ice-filled Collins glass and top with the soda water. Garnish with a lemon wheel.

*To make ginger solution, stir 1 part sugar into 1 part ginger juice made by squeezing freshly grated ginger through a paper towel.

Cap Haitian Rum & Honey

Barbancourt 15yr rhum, local organic honey, Angostura bitters on a hand cut ice cube

Now back from the ballet and having a dram of Parker's 27 to toast birthday boy Naaman again!

Edited by Voltron

Good stuff Al but I am disappointed with the lack of pictures. ;)

Colin: How do you like the 2008 Avalon? I bought a few bottles of the 2008 yesterday but haven't tried it yet. I hope it is as good a value as previous years.

Attempted to be subtle and at least seem to be focused on my wife instead of cocktails and you people. ;)

Nice drinks Shelly, and definitely quality ingredients. Thanks for the recipes Al, need to go shopping again. Dinny, that picture is pure win!

Both were good and the Rum & Honey idea is a nice twist on the usual old fashioned. A stronger, sharper rum might be interesting even though the Barbancourt was super tasty and not terribly sweet.

18056ae2-d7c0-036d.jpg

Thanks to Dusty, my first Left Hand brew, in this case an Imperial Stout. No skunking at all, and the incredible packing job with individual insulated wrapping would have made it damn difficult to cook these bottles. Thanks again Dusty, this one is very tasty and I will need your oatmeal cookie recipes for some of the others. :)