What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Yep, I like the Widow's Kiss (cocktail). Right now I have, and like, Calvados Morice. I like to try new things so let me know the brand you like. I love that flask of Chartreuse!

Nice improvisation Al! How is the Bourye? Sounds interesting but I have not tried it.

Back to the Anvil List tonight.

I got some Ginger Beer and planned to make all three cocktails calling for Ginger Beer but didn't have any fresh mint so I couldn't make the Gin Gin Mule. Didn't really love either of the drinks I made with the Ginger Beer but I am becoming quite convinced that I just don't like ginger in my drinks.

Anvil # 30 El Diablo

1.5 oz Casa Noble Crystal Tequila

1/2 oz. Creme de Cassis

1/2 Lime

Top off with Ginger Beer

pTOn1.jpg

Anvil #89 Suffering Bastard

1/2 oz fresh lemon juice

1/2 oz Eagle Rare 10yr Bourbon

1/2 oz Old Raj Gin

1 dash Angostura Bitters

2 oz Ginger Beer

OOA1w.jpg

I didn't end up drinking either of the last two drinks so I decided to make another.

Anvil #66 Paradise

1 oz Old Raj Gin

1/2 oz Rothman and Winter Orchard Apricot

1/2 oz fresh squeezed orange juice

1 dash fresh squeezed lemon juice

While this drink wasn't anything spectacular, it was certainly drinkable and I could see myself making another in the future. :)

myL4Z.jpg

Edited by shellylh

Nice looking drinks even if you didn't like them. :D. I think really strong Ginger beer only works in a couple drinks and those aren't them. I also find I seldom like classic cocktails with OJ in them. Too cloying. A good Mimosa or even screwdriver can hit the spot sometimes but the paradise would be better without OJ.

I've had some pretty nasty American ginger beer, I distinctly remember one with a cowboy label that made everything taste like ginger for about a week. Used to live by a deli with a well stocked soda selection, the family that owned the place would take a road trip every year and bring back a trailer full of sodas from small producers. Kind of set me up perfectly for the craft beer movement. I gained a willingness to try anything in the soda case, which meant I drank a lot of swill. I even tried the Jones Soda Thanksgiving Dinner pack. Turkey & Gravy and the Brussel Sprout soda were pretty much the low point.

Anyway, actual favorites to come from that were the Jamaican ginger beers. I know I had a Barritt's somewhere along the way too, and liked it. Moxie is fun, almost an addictive acquired taste. I loved all those different takes on soda, not the oversweetened mess we know. Of course I found some pretty good takes on the American style sodas as well, like Tommyknocker Almond Cream. Best mixed drink I ever had was that with Wild Turkey 101.

I think I've plugged it before but if you can find Sprecher's Ginger Soda it's pretty awesome. Really light on the ginger flavor but with a nice silent kick of gingery spice at the end.

Having an old chub on the porch waiting for the BBQ... life doesn't really get much better than this.

I need to try that Two Brothers IPA, wonder if they have it at the Gingerman here...

Shelly, if you have trouble finding the Two Brothers, let me know. Easy to get around here, I can get some for you.

I think I've plugged it before but if you can find Sprecher's Ginger Soda it's pretty awesome. Really light on the ginger flavor but with a nice silent kick of gingery spice at the end.

Yup. I also recommend the Sprecher's Ginger soda, and I like their Cream Soda better than others as well.

Yep, I like the Widow's Kiss (cocktail). Right now I have, and like, Calvados Morice. I like to try new things so let me know the brand you like. I love that flask of Chartreuse!

Nice improvisation Al! How is the Bourye? Sounds interesting but I have not tried it.

I quite liked the Bourye, but this was the first time I tried it. I thought it was tasty in the Old Pal and then had a dram neat and then with an ice cube. I like the rye bite and bourbon sweetness/smoothness. I can see why Dinny likes it because it is his perfect combo.