What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Williams Selyem Russian River Pinot, so good i bought a case today. :rolleyes:

Only a case? ;)

A really, really good week[end] for beer:

*Started off with Strong Beer Month offerings at 21st Amendment(Two Lane Blacktop black IPA, Red Imp imperial amber American ale, Imperial Jack ESB, 21 Rock triple IPA, and Lord & Master strong English blond) and Magnolia Brewing (Rye Rye Rocco, Promised Land IPA, Old Thunderpussy barleywine).

*Continued strong with 2 kegs from Iron Springs Brewpub (Epiphany Ale and JC Flyer IPA)

*Hit fever pitch at RRBC for the release of Pliny the Younger, with a Supplication mixed in.

*Slipped back a bit with another keg of IPA from Marin Brewing Company, although it was better the second day.

*Climbed back up to the top with a DFH/SN Life & Limb, an Abbeye de Saint Bon Chien sour, and a Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus.

*And then went way into the stratosphere with Three Flights Down on Sunday:

Mikkeller Black Hole Barrel Aged imperial stout: Rum / Scotch / Bourbon / Wine

Fifty Fifty Brewing Eclipse Barrel Aged imperial stout made with honey:

Four Roses / Christian Brothers Brandy / Evan Williams Bourbon / Rittenhouse Rye Heaven Hill

De Dolle Oerbier Special Reserva:

2009 / 2005 / 2006 / 2009 (again)

Of course, there were also some nice DIY cocktails, and some extraordinary pro cocktails at Bourbon & Branch and Alembic Bar along the way too. ;)

Good stuff Al!

Fifty Fifty Brewing Eclipse Barrel Aged imperial stout made with honey

This is some baller shit right here, Al. How was it?

Oh, and Shelly I'll take that monitor off your hands if you don't want to go through the hassle of cleaning said screen.

Edited by Aura

Celebrating my first Ph.D. student's first job offer (she just called me and told me about it) with some Parker 27. Jobs in academics are not so easy to come by nowadays so this is very exciting indeed.

V4Noo.jpg

Congrat Shelly, that is a great testament to you. Although Claire loves teaching high school, I am certain that if her big-shot PhD advisor had made a real effort she would have gotten a proper tenure-track job and would still be a professor.

Naaman cannot come home soon enough because he needs to get out of that hellhole but also so I can drink the last of my Parker's 27! :D

you have a large smudge on your monitor, there, Shelly.

You mean there is something in that picture other than the Parker's 27? :confused:

This is some baller shit right here, Al. How was it?

Oh, and Shelly I'll take that monitor off your hands if you don't want to go through the hassle of cleaning said screen.

The FiftyFifty completely blew the Mikkeller out of the water in my book, and I thought the Mikkeller was awesome. If you can find a bottle of the Four Roses or the Evan Williams especially you should go for it. There is a Pappy 23 version from an earlier year that I would LOVE to get somehow.

she probably just used a little of that handy alcohol to remove the smudge.

Sacriliege, burn him!

The FiftyFifty completely blew the Mikkeller out of the water in my book, and I thought the Mikkeller was awesome. If you can find a bottle of the Four Roses or the Evan Williams especially you should go for it. There is a Pappy 23 version from an earlier year that I would LOVE to get somehow.

Mikkeler is pretty available here in IL, especially in Chicago. I've passed on Black Hole a few times and passed on Beer Geek Brunch Weasel this past weekend; the latter will not be passed up again.

Yeah I'd love to get ahold of any 50/50 at this point - they all sound rather terrific. Unfortunately from my recent beer studying I've noted that the Pappy version is all but completely extinct at this point and when it does show up for trade or for sale on ebay it generates ridiculous offers (like far into the $$$'s). The brewer behind the 50/50 stuff recently commented on Beer Advocate that the Pappy version was beyond a doubt the finest barrel-aged brew he'd ever done and that it's very unlikely he'll be able to replicate the recipe. Pappy barrels are apparently a pain in the ass to come by. :/

Edit - let me know if you are ever in need of more Mikkeler stuff Al.

Edited by Aura

Just to be clear, Bryan, NEVER pass up Black Hole or Brunch because they are awesome. The barrel aged versions of Black Hole was an experiment and the bourbon and whiskey were both fantastic and the rum and wine were merely excellent. JP likes the wine version most of all, by the way.

A really, really good week[end] for beer:

Mikkeller Black Hole Barrel Aged imperial stout: Rum / Scotch / Bourbon / Wine

Fifty Fifty Brewing Eclipse Barrel Aged imperial stout made with honey: Four Roses

Many thanks Al for Sharing these around with the unworthy (me).. They were very good... wish I could have had more.

cheers,

Mikey

Well between the bad juju foisted upon Al and the cocktail fail that Jeff had to endure I made my own Handy based Sazerac and am including a comparison photo.

IMG_0064.jpg

Between the Handy and the absolute horror of the Californicated Sazerac I'm pretty sure I was able to transfer the bad juju to the bartender at the mixing room.

Also realized I never posted the picture of the Blood and Sand I had at Rye over the weekend.

IMG_0063.jpg

Edited by morphsci

Was drinking Faux-rizona all day, switched to Sleepytime just now.

I haven't had any beer since Friday.

Obovoid oak-aged imperial stout. Its good, special, but not fantastic.
You know, I agree. Or at least, I remember agreeing -- I don't remember it being anything special. But for some reason, it mixed with the DFH Raisin better than the others.