What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Bear Republic Racer X on tap, followed by a DFH Worldwide Stout on tap. First one very good, second one very sweet. Weird progression.

Had the Worldwide on Sunday. That's one that needs to mellow. It was ok at first but really hot the further I got into it.

The Black Lager is ok. I'm not a huge Guinness fan but I like it.

1980 Ficklin Vineyards Vintage California Port, Special Bottling No. 5.

Bottle No. 7371

A friend of mine gave me this bottle in the late 80's. I decided I better open this before it went bad (actually expected it to already have turned), but it's just wonderful. Here is some information about the winery. I'll post a picture of the label, later.

Anvil List in 4

Mint Julep following the Stork Club Bar Book recipe and specifically a slightly less insane version of the author's preferred recipe, which is offered as an alternative to the usual 2 oz bourbon recipe.

4 oz Jack Daniels proof bourbon (2 oz Pappy Van Winkle 19 yo Cask cask)

2 oz cognac floated on top (1 oz Maison Surrenne)

1 tsp sugar (1.5 tsp simple syrup)

4 sprigs mint

Mash with muddler. Fill silver mug with shaved ice, decorate with sprigs of mint, add straws and a green cherry.

web.jpg?ver=12948072070001

I had no silver mug or green cherries so I just went with a cut glass tumbler, a big bunch of mint and a straw. The Pappy and Surrenne were serene together. I also took the effort of cracking my ice cubes with the Tap-Icer that has been in use in this house for more than 45 years and probably before that. Here is a pic because it is so cute.

web.jpg?ver=12948072320001

Tripel showdown back at school.

Unibroue La Fin du Monde vs. Affligem Tripel.

La Fin has more funk and bitterness, more of a kick. Affligem feels more tame, less carbonated, but smells quite similar.

88b07e9f-40d4-f1ee.jpg

Affligem pic. Lost Abbey brews in the background are for Mike this coming weekend. Yes I finally remembered them for you ;).

Got tired of the sierra nevada so tonight it's... manhattan in a box!

:jbl:

La Fin has more funk and bitterness, more of a kick. Affligem feels more tame, less carbonated, but smells quite similar.

Affligem pic. Lost Abbey brews in the background are for Mike this coming weekend. Yes I finally remembered them for you ;).

That guy in the back looks wasted and grumpy.

Anvil - 3

Hot Buttered Rum a la Stork

1.5 oz Jamaica rum (Appleton V/X -- still don't like this rum)

1 lump sugar

1 small pat of butter (unsalted)

4 cloves

Pour ingredients into mug or old fashioned glass and then fill with boiling water. Meh. Warm and all that, but I just don't dig on the hot drinks for the most part.

web.jpg?ver=12948123550001

And then there were two. :cool:

I was kinda disappointed with my aging of the La Fin du Monde, because it took the edge off the tartness and yeast funk, which is what I like about it. It did add a bit more depth and sourness to the flavor, but I definitely prefer it to be a bit fresher.

i just wanted to say that that is a fucking muddler. i'd never heard of a tap-icer, but now that i've read about it, i think i'll need to hit eBay. i've been using a meat tenderizer with the cubes wrapped in a towel, which is somewhat less than ideal.

I like that muddler a lot. It is a good shape and very functional, but I wish the wood were denser and therefore had more heft. The Tap-Icer is the shizz. And remember -- vibrate -- don't pound! Good advice in many contexts. :)

Anvil List in 4

Mint Julep following the Stork Club Bar Book recipe and specifically a slightly less insane version of the author's preferred recipe, which is offered as an alternative to the usual 2 oz bourbon recipe.

4 oz Jack Daniels proof bourbon (2 oz Pappy Van Winkle 19 yo Cask cask)

2 oz cognac floated on top (1 oz Maison Surrenne)

1 tsp sugar (1.5 tsp simple syrup)

4 sprigs mint

Mash with muddler. Fill silver mug with shaved ice, decorate with sprigs of mint, add straws and a green cherry.

web.jpg?ver=12948072070001

I had no silver mug or green cherries so I just went with a cut glass tumbler, a big bunch of mint and a straw. The Pappy and Surrenne were serene together. I also took the effort of cracking my ice cubes with the Tap-Icer that has been in use in this house for more than 45 years and probably before that. Here is a pic because it is so cute.

web.jpg?ver=12948072320001

That is one heck of a Mint Julip!