What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Anvil Friday Night!

To fulfill the Mojito requirement, I turned to the trusty 1946 Stork Club Bar Book and found the following variation:

Mojito Highball

2 oz Appleton Estate V/X rum

1 tsp superfine sugar

juice of half lime plus the rind

1 cube of ice (ok, 3 cubes)

Serve in a highball glass. Fill with soda. Decorate with 3 sprigs of rind [of mint]. Stir.

web.jpg?ver=12944549600001

Light, refreshing and not cloying like most syrupy Mojitos. Nice.

Next, I decided to take my medicine even though I did not have proper white creme de menthe. Luckily, Wondrich and the Savoy each went with a 1/4 to 3/4 ratio rather than the even parts recipe in the Stork.

Stinger

3/4 oz white [green] creme de menthe

2 1/4 oz Maison Surrenne cognac

Shake well and strain into sherry glass or cocktail glass.

web.jpg?ver=12944549620001

web.jpg?ver=12944549630001

Wow that is green. I wish I had better and more appropriate creme de menthe (Wondrich recommends finding the French brand "Get"), but I admit that it is appealing in a retro sort of way. People in my parents' and grandparents' generations drank a lot of creme de menthe drinks and it has a way of bringing me back to being a kid at parties or restaurants. Now I get to make and drink them, though, so that is a good thing. :)

10 to go, and hopefully more to cross off tonight.

Great Mojito recipe Al and the retro stinger is great. I know what you mean about taking you back. I can see my mom drinking a sickly green grasshopper.

Anvil time here is starting with # 29 East India Cocktail

2 ounces cognac

1 teaspoon curacao

1 teaspoon pineapple syrup

2 dashes maraschino

2-3 dashes Boker's bitters

Stir well with ice and strain into chilled cocktail glass; hit it with a lemon twist and, if you

9211ea2e.jpg

North Coast Old Stock Ale Cellar Reserve 2009...

crappy pic, great beer...mainly 'cuz it tastes very, very much like Founders Backwoods Bastard...only it's over twice as expensive...really nice looking bottle...you'll hafta take my word for it...

Sazerac at the Sazerac Bar - frankly, mine is better is, this is too watery

that's too bad...wonder which bartender you had?...the Ramos Gin Fizz I had there was quite good...check out the gift shop for Sazerac glasses:)...the Napoleon House was closed when I was there...

the Avenue Pub's probably the closest thing they have to a beer bar...& it's on the St. Charles Street Car line so easy to get back...

Not in the land of Oz, but I own the house that my grandfather lived in for 25 years and inherited a lot of very cool barware and glassware. Those little champagne glasses are some of my favorites, especially with a neon beverage in them.

Gonna have to get some faux-Bokers, and I really like both the gum syrup in general and the East India Cocktail in particular. I have not made many juleps, but that or the Zombie will be my last one from the list.

Sorry about the poor drink, Shelly, but I am not surprised that you might get a dud now and again. Maybe act all indignant and shame them into doing it right like Jim said, or maybe just find one of the other thousand bars in the neighborhood that looks better. Haven't been to NOLA in years but it would be fun to have a meet or other get-together there sometime.

Moving into single digits on the Anvil list by way of the worst-tasting of all the drinks on the list so far.

The Morning Glory [Fizz] from the Stork

1.5 oz scotch (2 oz Edradour 10 yr Signature)

1 tsp powdered sugar

white of 1 egg

.5 tsp tsp superfine sugar

Shake and strain into highball glass with new ice cubes and top with seltzer.

web.jpg?ver=12944606920001

Maybe I will try this one morning and see if it is glorious, but it just tastes bland and lousy.

talisker 10

I ALMOST bought this for a neighbor's 50th BDay party, but instead tried something I had heard of but not tried: Dalwhinnie 15 year.

Not a Scotch afficianado by any means, but it was pretty good IMO, and two others who partook (?) agreed. One person didn't like it as much as a few others he tried.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4214[/ATTACH]

post-1604-12951159113296_thumb.jpg

Jim, that's a lot of mint leaves.

Me, more Cocchi.

I think I'll start on Anvil at some point too.

You can't have too much mint in a julep, nor too much Cocchi. I'm probably going to start on the forgotten cocktails book after a short break.

I did not really care for the morning glory fizz either Al. It was OK but nothing really stood out.

Yay for generous pours of Handy.

Back to the list. Anvil # 71 Pisco Punch

2 ounces pisco

1 ounce distilled water

4 teaspoons pineapple gum syrup

3/4 ounce lemon juice

Shake well, strain into a thin punch glass and garnish with syrup-soaked pineapple chunk.

IMG_0044.jpg