Beyerdynamic T5p

Dusty Chalk

$1300 for weak bass seems like a poor value to me, but maybe these headphones aren't as easy to drive as claimed. Alternatively, maybe that bass will come out with a decent source, but who knows? Beyer has been pretty inconsistent with the bass quantity on their phones.

But besides the purported lack of bass, the form factor itself is pretty terrible for a "portable". So it's a faily fail in my book.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

$1300 for weak bass seems like a poor value to me, but maybe these headphones aren't as easy to drive as claimed. Alternatively, maybe that bass will come out with a decent source, but who knows? Beyer has been pretty inconsistent with the bass quantity on their phones.

But besides the purported lack of bass, the form factor itself is pretty terrible for a "portable". So it's a faily fail in my book.

I have the same thinking too when I received the T5P and heard the bass, "$1300 for this?!". After that only i realize it is in different group than what i used to be.

I do not plan to use it on the go too, just too bulky. The portability to me is easy to pack and bring to another destination for use. Outstation work in my case.

The headphone is still <20hrs, thing may change later. I heard other users said the bass will "slightly improve" after 300 hrs burn in but that's it.

I have the same thinking too when I received the T5P and heard the bass, "$1300 for this?!". After that only i realize it is in different group than what i used to be.

I do not plan to use it on the go too, just too bulky. The portability to me is easy to pack and bring to another destination for use. Outstation work in my case.

The headphone is still <20hrs, thing may change later. I heard other users said the bass will "slightly improve" after 300 hrs burn in but that's it.

You may find that the level of bass is greatly influenced by the seal (or lack thereof) of the ear cushions. You might even be able to modify the cushions for a better seal.

That's not just speculation - I am finding in correspondence with several people on the Beyer DT-48 that the lack of bass there is directly attributable to the unsealed cushions. I have the sealed variety.

It's a lesson I learned in 1971 using the original Advent speakers. If a speaker or headphone is designed to deliver proper bass in an "open" setting, fine, but many of them are not, even when they say they are.

• 3 weeks later...

After around 300 hours of playtime I have on them I am finding them much less bright if at all and extremely transparent. Bass is sufficient from Walkman X1060>LOD> Meier Stepdance amp. If I boost he bass by one step above zero in the Walkman I get too much bass for my preference. The phones can handle a lot of bass though.

I just purchased and am waiting for an iBasso D6 portable amp that can have opamps easily modified and am planning to get opamps that will make it a bit on the warm side to warm the headphones up andsee how they perform with such a mod.

Portable amps are called 'portable' for a reason and with an amp these headphones realy shine, a lot of output power is required from the amp though. I do not think these headphones are marketted as phones for the masses that do not even know that portable headphone amps exist and that is why I would not easily call this a fail.

This is where T5P is targetted on, it is for "mobility"; if anyone plans to use headphone at home only then go for T1 + good DAC.

Still T1 is an open headphone and not everyone can or wants to use an open can at home for various reasons.

The most frequently used mobile players are ipod, phones, laptop, mobile mp3 players; or something else that I missed out.

T5P is supposed to plug into these players directly and get the sound out, with little or no bass.

As I said in the other post I doubt a typical music listener that is not into HiFi stuff will not even know there is a cmpany called Beyerdynamic. If he is not into HiFi than he will also not pay 1300USD for headphones. Only a person who knows about the importance of sources and amps will go for a purchase like this (or a spoiled rich kid just to burn some money)

Just got some beyer T1, T5p and T 50p cans for test.

The T5 is relentlessly bright ... unlistenable. You can polish that turd all you want with eq, but it's still gonna stink eventually.

The T50 is a bit better, but it's still too bright.

Id sell the T5 as soon as you can while theres still suckers out the who havent read all about it.

Go get some Sennheiser PX 200-II for your portable, and blow the change on beer. Youll be happy.

wow, really? thank you for stopping by to enlighten us poor benighted primitives.

That is what I call a great response. Especially coming from a Mod - congrats mate. Very professional and on the subject. Make sure you have some tissues with you as the venom might destroy the carpets.

Just got some beyer T1, T5p and T 50p cans for test.

The T5 is relentlessly bright ... unlistenable. You can polish that turd all you want with eq, but it's still gonna stink eventually.

The T50 is a bit better, but it's still too bright.

Id sell the T5 as soon as you can while theres still suckers out the who havent read all about it.

Go get some Sennheiser PX 200-II for your portable, and blow the change on beer. Youll be happy.

Give T5s some time and you will see their potential.

Fuck off cunt. I know I'm not a mod, but is that professional enough for you?

Haha, quoting from your sig link:

'This is predominantly a place for friends to discuss music, audio gear, and whatever else tickles our fancy.'

The 'predominantly' word is definitely out of place here.

Everyone has to be a newb at some point. Not everyone makes himself a foe as you have done to yourself. I was a newb not too long ago. I didn't get this place at first, but I didn't talk smack to a group of people I didn't know. Would you do that in real life? If you did, you'd get a whooping. You're getting a whooping because you asked for a whooping.

I am really seeing the difference now between those who get it and those who don't. And appreciate how this place has been able to remain clean and interesting.

It's actually pretty funny now to read your responses to Reks and to Tyll, now that I know them a bit! :P

Edited by jvlgato

Everyone has to be a newb at some point. Not everyone makes himself a foe as you have done to yourself. I was a newb not too long ago. I didn't get this place at first, but I didn't talk smack to a group of people I didn't know. Would you do that in real life? If you did, you'd get a whooping. You're getting a whooping because you asked for a whooping.

I am really seeing the difference now between those who get it and those who don't. And appreciate how this place has been able to remain clean and interesting.

It's actually pretty funny now to read your responses to Reks and to Tyll, now that I know them a bit! :P

Never said anything smack or talked down - expressed my opinions in a manner no intelligent human being would be ashamed of.

Good luck!

I really think the other site I suggested has the type of discussion you're looking for. I hope so.

Yes, I have been using the other forum for some time now. It seems to be pretty good for headphone discussions.

This one seems more like an anger management classroom exercise.