Geneapalozza: A Celebration Of All Things Gene

agile_one

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we're likely to go hungry in Tampa.

Bern's, Skippers Smokehouse, Ella's, Square 1, Five Guys, The Taco Bus - That covers a lot of ground.

But just in case, these were the best chowhound threads I could find. Maybe the locals could given them the once over, in case any of the mentions trigger an "oh, yeah!" response. Having decent choices is a good thing, right?

Tampa - Hidden Gems? - Florida - Chowhound

I want to like Tampa/Clearwater, but I don't. Please help. - Florida - Chowhound

So...What's the best thing(s) you ever ate in the Tampa Bay area? (spinning off of another FL post) - Florida - Chowhound

The Matt outing sounds attractive, but I'm not sure of my arrival. I'm thinking it will be after 8 PM, so we may miss the burning bus.

Carl, you should consider driving straight to Skipper's if you miss the ride from the hotel. I think I'd asked you before if you'd been, but can't remember your answer. If not, I think you'll love the place. When we went to that dive with the jamband in Lauderdale I instantly recognized how much it was like Skipper's compressed to a strip mall. Same overall quality/structural integrity/vibe, but with a roomy space with a huge tree in the middle.

I don't think we're likely to go hungry in Tampa.

Bern's, Skippers Smokehouse, Ella's, Square 1, Five Guys, The Taco Bus - That covers a lot of ground.

You forgot La Teresita, which is another must see. Honest old Tampa tradition. Go to the 24/7 cafeteria on the west side of the building. not the sit-down joint on the east. Food comes out of the same kitchen.

If we make it to Ybor there's also Mema's Alaskan Tacos, a long time favorite of the FLA crew. Also FWIW the best non-gourmet pie in Tampa.

Other than that can't think of much. I have plenty more favorites but they are less accessible for whatever reasons. I think that makes a pretty sound list (skip the Five Guys though, unless you've absolutely never had it. In-N-Out still wins.)

Edited by NightWoundsTime

You forgot La Teresita, which is another must see. Honest old Tampa tradition. Go to the 24/7 cafeteria on the west side of the building. not the sit-down joint on the east. Food comes out of the same kitchen.

Other than that can't think of much. I have plenty more favorites but they are less accessible for whatever reasons. I think that makes a pretty sound list (skip the Five Guys though, unless you've absolutely never had it. In-N-Out still wins.)

What about Mema's Alaskan Tacos?! Did you forget that?! And I was dogged for not know the meaning of "tube weather"! Sheesh. :asshat:

So I guess Gene needs to add the following to the google map

Tampa|La Teresita Cafeteria|Cuban Sandwiches|Coffee |Bread|Lunch| Dinner| Breakfast

Mema's Alaskan Tacos - Tampa, FL

Al, you live in the Bay Area. Why would you know the meaning of "Tube Weather" :)

Even the statement about our summers appears false ..... snopes.com: Mark Twain on Coldest Winter

Shall we complicate and extend Friday night by hitting Skipper's and Ybor? If you've all got the constitutions for it, I say yes. Late announced show at New World Brewery in Ybor with The Groves, a newly formed band you won't find much info on but they're jambandy as well, and they have a sexy bass player (she's an old friend). There are three opening bands so these shows run late (Midnight thirty or so). Plenty of time to eat at Skipper's, enjoy the band for an hour or so and then skip down to Ybor, hopefully to find the Bern's crew.

The Matt outing sounds attractive ...

Yes, it sounds delicious, and, who knew?

Besides La Teresita and Mema's Alaskan, I'll throw out Mom's Place on Dale Mabry for breakfast, and Mazzaro Italian market in St Pete for all around market/deli goodness. Some good small Cuban joints, too.

Mom's Place - Tampa, FL

Mazzaro's Italian Market - Italian Deli, Italian Bakery, Gourmet Cheese & Wine, Meat Deparment, Pasta, Seafood, FL, Florida > Home