Geneapalozza: A Celebration Of All Things Gene

agile_one

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bern's prices only start with that menu, and can go sky high in a hurry with ala carte add ons, wine by the bottle, and the whole desert room/cigar/after dinner drink thing after dinner. You go to a separate upstairs space with semi private rooms where you relax over desert, cigars, etc - very cool. If you're careful, you can get out of there for $50 or so. If not, send money, guns, and lawyers, 'cause it might get ugly at checkout time.

Just the first option I've come across Friday night. There's a halfway decent looking Jam Band at Skipper's Smokehouse. Best redneck hippie bar in the universe, and Elliott Cohn's Cosmic Sweat Society from New Orleans sounds like the band to see there. Only a $10 cover, and there's awesome cheap eats on site, including fried gator tail and a killer corn chowder. The Berns folks can join us in their Sunday best after consuming their riches.

If people just want to hang around CCB and get food and go back to CCB (not a horrible option for a Friday night), I'd suggest Square One burgers.

Edited by NightWoundsTime

i

fucking

hate

tenured

professors...

anyone driving up on saturday night by any chance? might have to miss this one as well. =/

paid an undergrad $60 to proctor an exam an asshole of a professor wanted me to proctor for him because he doesnt want to do it himself. douchenozzle professor found out and just came to my office with my phd contract saying that proctoring was part of my duties...arguing with him about what difference it made if i did it or an ugrad did it made things worse. should have kept my mouth shut. unless i can get the chair involved which at this stage i will because i am not just proctoring for him but grading his fucking final as well, im screwed out of yet another meet :( told him i already had plans and had booked plane tickets as well and he responded with, "well now you know better than to make academics your second priority."

fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

i hereby give all hc members the authority to kill me if i ever become this kind of professor.

Damn CJ, sorry to hear that.

Just went and picked up my liquor contribution to this meet: A Scott's Selections 1977 Glenlivet single cask. Bottles in 2004 so 27 years, 53% cask strength. Not as pricey as one would think for such an age and rarity, hope it wasn't a shitty cask they dumped on poor old Scott.

That sucks CJ. I love that we don't have to proctor (actually are not allowed to proctor) exams because of the honor code. Can you switch with another grad student? Maybe the prof doesn't like the idea of an undergrad proctoring the exam. I could see that. In any case, that prof sounds like a prick.

all the grad exams end this wednesday so all the international students are flying out on thursday and all the ones from us already said they will be out of town/not on campus and therefore dont want to do it. i emailed the chair about this nonsense a few hours ago. lets see what he says. if he says i have to do it then no meet for me :(

dr. douche just didnt like the idea of me not following his instructions to the dot and now that he knows i had plans he is trying to screw me over more by saying that he only wants me to proctor...cant believe people can be such butts at times.

Gene, you said you'd talked to the folks at Cigar City and they'd promised a keg of Seabass for us next weekend? Should I drop the tasting room manager an email and ask for special consideration in adding that and maybe even another special keg for this weekend? Something like 15-18 solid beer drinkers staying next door should get some special treatment(s).

I love how the guy commented about your not putting academics first! What nerve! Exactly how does proctoring and grading HIS exam for his students further your "academics"? Are you supposed to learn something from this experience? Sorry, but I've been teaching for 27 years, and I've yet to learn a thing by grading a stack of exams, let alone sitting in class and watching students take an exam. Bunch of crap. This is why most of these guys couldn't survive in a real job where they actually had to do their own work.

Gene, just to help with the headcount / reservations on Friday Night, Peter and I will be going for the Matt option rather than Bern's. I think you will have enough Lawyers and Firepower to deal with any eventuality.

Matt, this means you get the Tan Jam Van (Burning Death Optional) at your disposal. Where to, guv'nor?

Looks like plans are falling together nicely. Grahame, thanks for shouting out and joining up with Matt & crew with the van for the Fri Skippers excursion - that will be a fun outing, and I'm a bit jealous to be missing it. That leaves Mike and me to drive to Bern's. Late night rendezvous to follow.

Matt ... I leave it to you to negotiate with CCB since you have the connections. I will be there on Thurs afternoon, and can finalize arrangements.

I'm calling hotel this morning to get reservation system back on line for any latecomers (phone reservations work fine - just say you are with the Head Case group).

The Red Breast and Green Spot have arrived from Dublin to join the Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig 10 already here.