Geneapalozza: A Celebration Of All Things Gene

agile_one

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so proud of myself for deciding to do Santa stuff next weekend rather than coming to this meet. I so wanted to come, but even Santa can't be in two places at once (except on Christmas Eve). I've put a lot of time, effort, money and sweat equity into the Santa hobby these past 20-odd years, but have never charged a dime.

At least not until this year! But now that word has spread that I've "gone pro" and have begun to charge, the phone won't stop ringing. It seems that a bunch of companies that had heard about me but had never called before now feel more comfortable in doing so because they don't have to ask for a favor. One lady I talked to the other day said, "Oh, we always knew about you, but we didn't think you would do our party for free. We thought you only did events for schools and charities..."

So far for next weekend alone I've got ~$1,900 of gigs lined up, depending on how much time they actually take, and the schedule still isn't all that full. Plus, I've got 3 grade school events (they're no longer free either, but half price) during this coming week. Thus, even if I had opted to attend the meet next weekend I still would have had to fly from Tampa to Cayman and back in order to meet those obligations in Cayman between now and then.

It's really a strange feeling being in greater demand than ever now that I'm actually charging for my services.

Thought it would be good to throw together a rough agenda for next weekend.

First, the location:

-Marriott Residence Inn, Tampa Westshore/Airport

- Head Case room rates are $94 for studio or 1 bedroom suite, $129 for 2 bedroom suite.

- Reserve by clicking hotel link above, then expand the "Special Rates & Awards" + sign

- use code "heaheaa" for studio suite

- "heaheab" for 1 bedroom suite

- "heaheac" for 2 bedroom suite

Thursday, Dec 9 Some diehard Travel Team members are arriving on Thursday, so the festivities will begin then. I will try to meet as many as possible at TPA, but if not possible to meet your flight, a 1 1/2 mile cab ride will get you to the hotel. Grahame & Peter fly into Orlando and are driving over in the TamJamVan, with expected arrival of about 9:00 PM. Likely the rest of us will already be at Cigar City Brewing, so they can meet us there.

Friday, Dec 10 Big arrival day for most attendees, and a great time for early arrivals to get settled, check out local attractions, and just hang with friends. Below is a map of restaurants, pubs, places to see and do that may be helpful. Friday is also the day for beer and liquor runs to Total Wine and Whole Foods.

A group is being formed for dinner at Bern's Steak House. Bern's is somewhat upscale, so not for everyone (think $$$ and dress code). If you want in for Bern's, let me know soon, as reservations need to be made - there is a possibility that Bern's will be full, in which case an alternate will be selected. Alternatively, I think Matt (NightWoundsTime) will be leading a trek to more affordable, and likely rowdy and fun, locale.

Some may want to venture in to Ybor City for a night on the town.

Saturday, Dec 11 This is meet day, although not quite like meets in the past. There is no meet room per se, but a number of the 2 bedroom suites will have the living areas set up with gear. We will be free to circulate and float between rooms, and new rooms may form as the mood strikes. This will not be a "nanny meet" with structure and schedule. We will all be responsible for our own good times and spontaneity and creativity will be rewarded. Saturday evening is open, but by then we should all have places to go and things to do, and friends to go and do with. I'm checking concert and show schedules, but don't see anything great - Matt?

If groups want to splinter off during the day for bowling, shooting, boating beaching, photographing, etc, that is highly encouraged. With no strict time for the meet rooms, you won't miss a chance to see/hear the gear at hand.

Sunday, Dec 12 Many are leaving Sunday, so there will be airport runs and farewells. Many are also staying, so there will be sightseeing, pub crawling, football watching, and all manner of fun. It should be a mellow, fun day for those staying in town.

Monday, Dec 13 Are these people gone yet? Yes, there are a number staying till late in the day Monday, so the party ain't over yet (you know who you are). By then, I expect a plan will be in place for last minute revelers.

Here is a Google Map for some recommended points of interest: TamJam'10 - Google Maps

See you all soon, and looking forward to an epic weekend. :)

Edited by agile_one

I would really like to go to the fancy place Friday evening, but I wont be getting there till like 9:30 or 10:00pm, as I work that day (heck, straight from work I would surely comply with dress code too!). That is much too late a dinner time for you guys. I'll have to pass.

But I will still show up fancy dressed though!

Gear is silly.

I think I'm bringing the RS-1s/AriPower/Pico DAC/1TB portable hdd, I'm sure there will be a laptop around I could borrow for rig purposes. I think Ben is bringing LCD-2s, but I think an HD800 or so locally will be there.

I basically want to see if the AriPower will be allowed as a carry on. The M^3 + being brown got me stopped last year. Let's see what Orange + tubes + being Mexican can get me this year.

**BRENT**

GS1 and LCD2 seems like plenty of gear Shelly. I can bring a pair or two of cans (PS1, old RS1, CD3k, SR-Omega, 4070?) and I would like to bring the FET-tactic amp Marc built but I think it will cause me to get cavity-checked at the airport. :eek: Or maybe that or maybe just the TTVJ FET-A which at least has silkscreening.

I would like to leave for Tampa right now but i guess I'll have to wait.

GS1 and LCD2 seems like plenty of gear Shelly. I can bring a pair or two of cans (PS1, old RS1, CD3k, SR-Omega, 4070?) and I would like to bring the FET-tactic amp Marc built but I think it will cause me to get cavity-checked at the airport. :eek: Or maybe that or maybe just the TTVJ FET-A which at least has silkscreening.

I would like to leave for Tampa right now but i guess I'll have to wait.

PS-1s, please! (It's the only Grado I care about that I haven't heard, so selfish, yeah, but, dammit...) How old are your old RS-1s? I just got some Classics (non-pink drivered) pre-ser #s. Weren't you saying some really nice things about the 4070s too?

Ok, time to get back on topic. Food/booze/schmooze/etc.

**BRENT**

PS-1s, please! (It's the only Grado I care about that I haven't heard, so selfish, yeah, but, dammit...) How old are your old RS-1s? I just got some Classics (non-pink drivered) pre-ser #s. Weren't you saying some really nice things about the 4070s too?

Ok, time to get back on topic. Food/booze/schmooze/etc.

**BRENT**

Ok, PS1s are easy. The RS1 are brown leather pink drivers but not the oldest of the old. I'll think about the 4070 also but if others want something else speak up.