One of the few record stores in America that's making money

archosman

The one time I was there, I liked most everything about it, except for that horrible Vampire Weekend band performing, though it was very cool they had a band there at all. Good thing I didn't have any real money on at the time. The little time I had looking through had me wanting lots.

That's where I got a bunch of my records, from the cheap used section. Didn't realize they would be as heavy as they were, bringing them back (through airport/airplane) was fun.

I've had this experience more than thrice. Collecting records and getting them through airports/airplanes isn't easy!

Banana records in SoFla claim to have far more vinyl than the Amoebas combined. Not quite as accessible on their crazy storage shelving, but fucking impressive quantities and selection if you can take the search. Claire was talking about making a run this week. Lots of new stuff, but I always find old stuff at the same time. Amoeba is an expensive habit for me.

I had to stay away from Bananas after a while. I probably made 10 really solid runs but I got sick of putting things back on the shelf after the quick GEMM check revealed a $50 price tag. Usually with some kind of explanation of rarity... "Actually this was the 3rd UK pressing where they found that the blue dye on the record sleeve was slightly off the original print, so they shut down production after only 3000 copies and went to a 4th pressing." !!!!!!! I don't give a shit I just want my damn Toto record!!!

Still my greatest treasure though is the Y.M.C.A./Macho Man 12" single that Gene bought and gave to me. What a guy.