Genesis Vinyl Box Set

Absorbine_Sr

I've never heard Genesis on vinyl unfortunately, but you can find the albums in their original Virgin/Charisma CD pressing for pretty cheap on eBay or at used record stores. From what I understand, they were just transfers from vinyl and they sound much better than the '94 remasters and infinitely better than the recent box set.

i haven't heard the new vinyl, but the newest SACD remasters are wretched. i have an old pressing of selling england by the pound that sounds marvelous, I don't think I paid but like $15-20 for it over at the hoffman forum. its been a while since I bought it though.

Genesis discography is a mess on CD. There are so many different versions of the pre-remaster CDs. Some sound good (even the best CDs will not touch the very good/excellent vinyl because the CDs are taken from such late generation tapes) and others are dreadful. It's hard to say which it will be unless you listen to it. The crappy CDs were probably taken from pre EQ (where the phono stage RIAA curve should adjust the EQ) LP tapes, so you basically have no bass and tons of high frequencies.

UK Charisma and Mad Hatter vinyl would have been cut from either the master tapes or very close generations. Classic Records reissues claim to be from the first generation master tape.

Edited by deepak

The crappy CDs were probably taken from pre EQ (where the phono stage RIAA curve should adjust the EQ) LP tapes, so you basically have no bass and tons of high frequencies.
That's pretty fucked up...but isn't there a fairly easy solution to that (run it through a phono EQ)? Do you have any? I wouldn't mind hearing for myself. I'm not sure which ones I have (and I do have several).

That's pretty fucked up...but isn't there a fairly easy solution to that (run it through a phono EQ)? Do you have any? I wouldn't mind hearing for myself. I'm not sure which ones I have (and I do have several).

They might have done that, but it sounds like the EQ was adjusted manually, hence the really weird/unnatural sound (again this is to me knowing what it's really supposed to sound like YMMV). I don't have any of these CDs anymore, sold them almost immediately.

There are so many different versions of the pre-remaster CDs. Some sound good (even the best CDs will not touch the very good/excellent vinyl because the CDs are taken from such late generation tapes) and others are dreadful. It's hard to say which it will be unless you listen to it. The crappy CDs were probably taken from pre EQ (where the phono stage RIAA curve should adjust the EQ) LP tapes, so you basically have no bass and tons of high frequencies.

Of those I have, Foxtrot and SEbtP are definitive step-up from the remasters. The V/C of The Lamb sounds a bit weird and Nursery Cryme I don't remember, it's been a while since I've listened to it. The only turd in the Gabriel-era V/C I have is Trespass, there's something weird with the mastering, but I also have the other weird release on MCA Records that sounds quite good.