Audeze LCD-2

swt61

This adds another possible explanation. The woody resonance (that I have not yet heard) might be caused by reflections in the outer chamber created by the driver on one end, the surrounding ear pads on the sides, and the users head on the other end (the head being the variable item).

Makes me wonder if I should add more dampening to my pair.

you're not alone I could not hear the resonance in that pair either and I thought it was just me

Maybe it is specific to specific pairs? I listened to some of these very briefly at the NYC meet last spring (with a well regarded sand amp), and I thought they sounded like a PA system in a long cement block hallway. Just terrible. It was bad to the point that I couldn't imagine anyone liking it, which led me to assume that there was something wrong with the particular pair.

Yeah that is definitely a resonance issue (which by the way my vocal tech class today we learned all about resonance and vowel color and stuff). Sounds bad. Johns set i don't think I hear that. There is a sense of spaciousness to the sound but i wouldn't say it's overly resonant.

Maybe, but the funny thing is a few of us compared our 'reverb models' to others LCD2s without noticing a difference. In my case, and to confuse matters more, this of course was before I ever heard the reverb. A few of us did a test with my SE LCD2s against Craigs balanced LCD2s and were listening pretty closely for differences (like mono v. stereo, but that's another story) and at least at that time one didn't sound moar reverby than the other. And for the record it's wasn't like the the phones suddenly sounded different one day. Just a realization like other phones issues that creep up (most ATs and midrange, Lambdas and etch, etc.).

I'd characterize the sound more as a nice 70s McIntosh system in a short cement block hallway.

Maybe, but the funny thing is a few of us compared our 'reverb models' to others LCD2s without noticing a difference. In my case, and to confuse matters more, this of course was before I ever heard the reverb. A few of us did a test with my SE LCD2s against Craigs balanced LCD2s and were listening pretty closely for differences (like mono v. stereo, but that's another story) and at least at that time one didn't sound moar reverby than the other. And for the record it's wasn't like the the phones suddenly sounded different one day. Just a realization like other phones issues that creep up (most ATs and midrange, Lambdas and etch, etc.).

I'd characterize the sound more as a nice 70s McIntosh system in a short cement block hallway.

:o I am like the anti-classic Mac sound type of person. I would say they sound like full range Maggies (20.1) with the 2M resistors in place. But with tighter bass. Like the Maggies they have punch and that planar sound, but don't have the delicacy of the best electrostat speakers. The AT midrange issues, Lambda etch, CD3000 drilling treble and recessed midrange are all flaws that are grossly evident.

Personally, I strongly believe the reverb effect is a function of the specific recording and FR of the LCD-2. For studio recordings with artificial reverb (some pop, arena rock, e.g. Pearl Jam - Ten, the effect is very evident. For classical recordings, I heard none, at least none that wasn't natural sounding.

As for the FR playing a role, the LCD2 is midrangy relative to many other headphones which typically have bass hump and no massive drop after 1kHz. Plus, I think the LCD2 has a small hump at 1KHz before the drop-off. This relative midrangy effect may make more evident any reverb effects introduced in the studio or during mixing.

For those who hear the reverb, try one thing with EQ: bump up 100Hz 3db with a low Q, shelf up treble past 1.5KHz 3db, and notch down 1Khz -3db with a high Q curve. Voila - the reverb goes away.

Edited by purrin

Personally, I strongly believe the reverb effect is a function of the specific recording and FR of the LCD-2. For studio recordings with artificial reverb (some pop, arena rock, e.g. Pearl Jam - Ten, the effect is very evident. For classical recordings, I heard none, at least none that wasn't natural sounding.

As for the FR playing a role, the LCD2 is midrangy relative to many other headphones which typically have bass hump and no massive drop after 1kHz. Plus, I think the LCD2 has a small hump at 1KHz before the drop-off. This relative midrangy effect may make more evident any reverb effects introduced in the studio or during mixing.

For those who hear the reverb, try one thing with EQ: bump up 100Hz 3db with a low Q, shelf up treble past 1.5KHz 3db, and notch down 1Khz -3db with a high Q curve. Voila - the reverb goes away.

I'll ry that, but the funny thing is that I don't hear it all the time. I need to pay more attention to what music and gear I'm using when I hear it, and see if I can find a correlation or relationship with anything in common when I hear it.

What's different with them? (I got mine last July)

I think they started shipping with them in December, but not sure. The new pads are finer leather and the padding itself is dye cut. They're similar, I have a picture somewhere, it'll be in the review within the next week. They sounded quite different to my ears, but I also had a very early pair first, so maybe a few other things had changed as well.

I think they started shipping with them in December, but not sure. The new pads are finer leather and the padding itself is dye cut. They're similar, I have a picture somewhere, it'll be in the review within the next week. They sounded quite different to my ears, but I also had a very early pair first, so maybe a few other things had changed as well.

I'm not sure exactly what the cause of the difference is either, but I do know that early pairs I heard I was not too terribly impressed by, but after hearing a relatively new pair a few months ago I was blown away.