iPad apps

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does ipeng allow you to play music stored on the iPad on a squeezebox device? I think that would only apply if the device had a version of the squeezebox OS natively on it like the touch. I basically don't want to bother with my external drive and the music i listen to the moment is all on my iPad, i would just need to send that somehow to a touch or whatever.

Gang, what's the app to use for printing from my iPad to a wifi printer?

Not an app, but a possible solution. Plus, IIRC, you had been considering a NAS:

http://www.synology.com/us/products/features/print_server.php

'Now Print From Your Mobile With AirPrint

For those who have an iPhone /iPad /iPod touch, you will be able to print photos, email, web pages, and documents wirelessly from your handheld by connecting an AirPrint-enabled printer to your DiskStation, as long as all the devices are within the same network. There is no learning curve to even set up the AirPrint server, just plug-and-play, and it is ready to use. You can print from your room, the living room, the kitchen or just about anywhere. It’s not necessary to purchase the latest printer model on the market; the Synology DiskStation enables existing printers to become AirPrint compatible. Check the Synology website for the complete support list. '

List of printers that are supported for this function:

http://www.synology.com/support/faq_show.php?q_id=116&lang=enu#printer

Edited by jvlgato

Not iPeng alone. Nor Squeezepad. Probably easiest way is an Airport Express/AppleTV and AirTunes (and with FLAC Player if needed).

And...

Incredible music visualizer Planetary brings a galaxy of music to your iPad http://j.mp/jaWfrS

Squeeze pad offers an in app purchase to allow you to stream music that is located locally on your iPad!

Only question is whether it will still work on a touch as the app says you need access to the squeezebox server, but I believe the touch has a version of the software located in the device itself...

Not so sure about this. The in app purchase (if we're discussing the same) allows the iPad to become 'another Touch' (with 16-bit and format limitations), not 'another Squeezeserver.' Catcher, not pitcher, as the say in some communitites. You can select Touch or iPad as output from either the Touch or Squeezpad, but there is no iPad library listed (just tested) on Touch. Not sure there's an easier solution (certainly could be wrong) than an Airport Expess (bitperfect at least earlier) or AppleTV (if you don't mind everything bumped to 48khz). Refurb Airport Expesses are pretty cheap.

Just be aware I and many others have given up on using the Touchs USB functionality. Fine for a few albums on a stick, but so many exceptions on full-on drive use, that it's pretty unusable. All four of my USB drives didn't work, album art can can problems, large libraries can cause problems, etc. In fact while there are lots of defenders (usually on what's reasonable to technically expect - funny, how Logitecs marketing department never got the memo), I've yet to see a single person, with a large FLAC or ALAC library, use the USB functionally primarily. That may be a big sign. Still in many ways a great device and if you're only planning on throwing a few albums on a stick you may be fine.

Yeah, the iOS AirPlay allows the iPad to serve as remote and pitcher. Just need one of the AirPlay devices to receive.

airplay video is only atv2

airplay audio works fine on atv1

You can stream to the atv1, just not from mobile devices. For me, that's not a big deal, because everything's already on my server, so I stream it from there.

• 1 month later...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/korg-ims-20/id401142966?mt=8

So I've been playing with iMS-20 on the ipad a lot lately. Wow, this is a fun and amazing and powerful app. It's a kaossilator, a drum sequencer, an analog synth, and more all in one. Now I really want to get one of those alesis docks to really see what I can accomplish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's the one I'm using on my iTouch. It plays 24/96 Flac files, something native iOS music application doesn't do with HD ALAC files. I need to install the newest version to see if it doesn't screw up with .jpg cover files when included into the music folder you upload to it.

I have no iPad, so I can't say how it works on it. No idea if there're better or just different options either.

Thanks guys... I'll probably buy it tonight, maybe tomorrow morning, to try it out. Have a meet where I'm going to have a few rigs, and 2 (one home amp, one portable amp) running off a pico dac off an iPad. Wanna be able to play everything we throw at it. It's worth 10$ to me, as I have some stuff that only plays flac, as far as lossless/compressed goes.

**BRENT**

• 4 months later...

I just bought Air Display by Avatron, a secondary display app for $9.99.

Seems to work pretty well with stuff like Spotify or iTunes... it seems to be a piece of crap with HC chat/web pages in general (iPad 1, maybe iPad 2/3/HD/etc will work better.)

You can enable touch on it which seems to work pretty well. The app works over wifi, and it seems now you can do an ad-hoc connection if need be.

I had a hangup with screen rotation (Windows + iPad, though you can do quite a few different combinations between desktop and mobile platforms), but with a little messing around with it, and trying to lock the screen rotation, it seems to work rather well.

I have some remote desktop apps, but maybe I'll use this one a little more.

**BRENT**