Driving across the country!

Nebby

So after some time looking for a job I've been accepted for a position in MD that matches what I'm looking for. I have a car and all my belongings are here in CA so I'll be driving across the country to my new location with my essentials. I'll be shipping the nonessentials since it'll be easy to do so as they're still packed in moving boxes from my separation. My father will be travelling with me to help split the driving duties.

As I haven't done a cross-country drive before, I'd like some input on the planned route which is this so far:

Los Angeles, CA to Baltimore, MD - Google Maps

I've mostly kept to the I-40 as I heard it's the better route to take, though I'm certainly open to suggestions otherwise.

I've bought snow chains and prepared a simple emergency pack to bring along.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your help :)

I've done a bit of such driving relatively recently. Here is a route that I think would run you into the least amount of weather problems, this time of year: Los Angeles, CA to Baltimore, MD - Google Maps

I'd take the 60 out of LA rather than the 10, generally less traffic IME. Of course, this decision could easily be based on up-to-date traffic reports.

Once you get to El Paso on I-10, there is very little in the way of amenities before until you get to San Antonio. West Texas is DEAD! Like being on the moon. So keep an eye on the gas gauge, and make sure you're stocked up before you leave El Paso. If you do this part at night, you can easily go over an hour without seeing another vehicle going either direction. At least when I've driven it, I've never seen cops, and even the Semi's were going 90. Once you get to the cities in TX, do be a bit more vigilant about cops.

Houston is a traffic nightmare. Try to go through well before/after rush hours. If you time it right, and leave LA in the early morning (4-5am) to beat LA traffic, you should be to Houston in time to beat the next morning's rush hour, provided you maintain a good speed, and don't take too many/long stops.

I-10 is pretty much easy sliding from LA to New Orleans, minus going through LA, Phoenix, and Houston, if your timing is bad. I've not gone further east than that, so the route was based on what looks like the easiest terrain, and least likely to lead you through snow. The following route would help you avoid traffic in Atlanta, North Carolina, and Richmond, but might be more likely to expose you to wintry weather: Los Angeles, CA to Baltimore, MD - Google Maps

I'd only use I-40 for making up time and allowing more stops elsewhere. Too many adventures possible on your route. ;)

Rt. 66 runs so close (sometimes feet away, sometimes same road) for half your trip. US-50 for the other half.

Couple times I've done it Road Trip USA was very useful.

Looks like they have a website too now:

ROAD TRIP USA

route66_hare.jpg

Edited by blessingx

I've only done a very short part of that drive. A few years ago I drove my Aunt back to Texas from Vegas. We visited my Brother in Lake Havasu City and took I-40 as far as Amarillo. There is some beautiful scenery! It was about this time of year, and we saw a little bit of snow in Flagstaff, but nothing that gave us any problems.

Should be a great adventure you'll remember forever! Have a great time!

All season radials would not be a bad choice if possible.