The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Lil' Knight, do you have a good speaker amp you can use? If it's the case, the Stax transformer boxes are nice budget option. I thought the O2 sounded better out of a SRD-7 Mk2 (using either Cambridge 840A or Quad II as speaker amp) than a SRM-T1 or SRM-007t. By "sounded better", I mean it had more dynamics and punch and it had a less sleepy sound than with the tube amps, with the sacrifice of some microdetails though.

Lil' Knight, do you have a good speaker amp you can use? If it's the case, the Stax transformer boxes are nice budget option. I thought the O2 sounded better out of a SRD-7 Mk2 (using either Cambridge 840A or Quad II as speaker amp) than a SRM-T1 or SRM-007t. By "sounded better", I mean it had more dynamics and punch and it had a less sleepy sound than with the tube amps, with the sacrifice of some microdetails though.

I don't have any speaker so no amp right now. I just wonder if I can use the speaker output from my M3 and then to the SRD-7?

I know someone (vvs_75, I think) using the B22+SRD-7 to drive his O2. So how does this compare with a dedicated Stax amp?

Curiosity question: between the current-production 006tII, 007tII, and 727tII, which one is technically the best for the OII as a general comparison point against aftermarket non-Stax amps?

The 727 but I don't like how it sounds. It has the ability to push the SR-007 adds too much of it's own onto the music.

717s aren't as commonly available as they used to be. I've been keeping an eye out for them for a while now in case a bargain showed up, but I don't recall when I last even saw one for sale. Then again I don't trawl HF's for sale section.

They do show up from time to time in Japan but often bundled with an Omega.

I'm pretty sure you can't adjust the bias on the SRM-1. The O2 just uses standard pro bias, 580V.

Also, it's reasonably listenable but just keep in mind you're amping a 1500 dollar TOTL headphone with a 300 dollar amp from the early 80s.

Well it was once a TOL amp and sold for about the same money as T1 and 717, but that was back in the day. :cool: It's actually a very nice amp for any of the Lambdas, and as I said I think it is batter than any of new Stax solid state amps except the big 7XX models.

I don't have any speaker so no amp right now. I just wonder if I can use the speaker output from my M3 and then to the SRD-7?

I know someone (vvs_75, I think) using the B22+SRD-7 to drive his O2. So how does this compare with a dedicated Stax amp?

I used B22 + SRD-7mkII combo with ESP950. They sound better in every way than with stock Koss amp. You know that anything sound better than Koss amp. I never tried this combo with O2 or other headphone.

Unless you have a balanced M

With the modded SR-404 gone I needed a new project and seeing how a Mk1 SR-007 sounds with the Mk2 pads would be an ideal choice. :) I even took some pics of the installation... :P I've never installed a fresh set of Mk2 pads before and lets just say it is a fucking pain!!! The vinyl is too thick and not as easy to handle as the leather on the Mk1 pads.

I've used them for only a few minutes now but there seems to be some extra bass and no issues that I can detect.

With the modded SR-404 gone I needed a new project and seeing how a Mk1 SR-007 sounds with the Mk2 pads would be an ideal choice. :) I even took some pics of the installation... :P I've never installed a fresh set of Mk2 pads before and lets just say it is a fucking pain!!! The vinyl is too thick and not as easy to handle as the leather on the Mk1 pads.

I've used them for only a few minutes now but there seems to be some extra bass and no issues that I can detect.

Why do you think I haven't taken off the Mk2 pads a second time to do the port mod on the O2 Mk2 yet?

You primates must have 10 thumbs. The Mk2 pads are so much easier than the Mk1 to install it's not even funny. The Mk1's flimsy, thin and soft wrap-around part is much more difficult to wrap into the housing.

Oops, aren't we not allowed to talk about O2 earpads anymore?

My O2 mk1 now has new pads, new headband, and a new arc assembly. The only thing keeping this O2 from being essentially mint is that I scratched/dinged the metal trying to remove that fucking headband. :faceplam:

These marks are very minor and are noticeable/material only to crazies like us, but they're there. Dos anyone have experience with minor repair/touch-ups on the metal part? Is it even possible to touch up?

And I'm also considering the pad swap because a) I'm curious and B) I think the mk2 pads are more comfy.