The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Birgir, even though it wasn't directed at me, I might be up for one or two sets of SR-X pads sometime.:)

I have some 8 sets left so just drop me a line when you need them. All funds will go towards me buying and ripping apart a SR-007Mk2... :D

It looks like he even has the original cardboard boxes for them :eek: :eek:

Damn him!! :D I did manage to buy an original wooden box for my SR-Omega/007 hybrid but I want some cardboard boxes as well

edit: is that an electrostat amp to the left of the SRM-T2?

It's the 6BX7 SRPP amp. You can see it here.

Somebody needs to translate this. :o

Quick and dirty translation - please ignore the grammatical errors.

-------------------------------

Three Omega Brothers

It has been a really long time since I’ve posted about Stax. This is how I occasionally charge up the backup pars of Omegas that are kept in strage. From the left, everyday use, backup pair 1, and backup pair 2. Of course, the best sounding pair is the backup pair 2 (LOL). The everyday use pair has been reinforced with aluminum, but about 5 years ago, the drivers were replaced with 007 drivers in the repair and its sound/response is slow and is inferior to the Omegas on the right.

When you are into audio for a long time, your opinions and taste often changes, and my opinion in regards to repaired Omega is one of them. I remember writing in the past that I preferred the sound of repaired Omega (w/ 007 drivers) but my opinion is complete opposite now. In any case, with earspeakers, there are differences in sound even among the same models – real clear differences beyond mind playing tricks (LOL). As they age, the imbalance between left and right tend to get increase, and the difference between “good” pair and “bad” pair also increases. But once you listen to a “good” pair in optimal condition, you probably won’t be able to let go of the stats sound.

Sitting next to the T2 is a first generation Lambda Pro. I’ve listened to over 10 different pairs from the Lambda series, including used 404’s I’ve bought, but the Lambda Pro pictured is a “good” pair and it’s the only Lambda I haven’t let go.

So I finally received an SR007 with a SRM007TA amp.

I do not know which ones of you were present during a chat session some weeks ago, in which a head-caser asked opinions on obtaining certain dynamic cans (I forget which) and another fellow responded "fuck dynamics make Stax your bitch."

I even think I've seen that quote in someone's sig...

Anyhow, after giving some quick listens to the Stax system (I know, I know, kinda jumped into the deeper end of the pool foolishly, but at a little over $2k, I couldn't pass up the deal), I have concluded that whoever said that quote was wrong.

Waaaaay wrong.

I set out to see if I could make Stax my bitch.

It saddens me to report that I was not able to accomplish this task, as Stax has made me its bitch instead.

It saddens me to report that I was not able to accomplish this task, as Stax has made me its bitch instead.

Thankfully you have nothing to upgrade to in terms of headphones (well, except the SR-Omega, see above :P).

All funds will go towards me buying and ripping apart a SR-007Mk2...

A damn worthy cause.;D

Thanks Haj :)

Ditto! :) I don't get the "reinforced with aluminum" bit but he could have had some pieces made that would fit inside the SR-Omega shell. With the SR-007 drivers in place there is a lot of empty space inside the shell and the aluminum is very thin. Now if he hasn't plugged the port that Stax left open (more like an open door) then there is no wonder the hybrid sucks. The bass bloat on the SR-007A/Mk2 is nothing compared to what Stax does to the "repaired" Omega. :mad:

It's also interesting to see him talk about the L-R balance being off and getting worse. I've also had 3 SR-Omegas here (not counting the hybrid) and they all sounded the same once I had gone through them.

I think we have managed to find Birgir's (evil?) twin. ;)

"There can be only one!!!" ;)

I've quickly looked through the rest of his blog, but didn't find anything about the aluminum reinforcement specific to the Omega hybrid. However, seeing some pics of what he's made himself, I've feeling he made the mentioned aluminum reinforcement himself.

http://image.space.rakuten.co.jp/lg01/01/0000388901/02/imgf8deb06duxyg8s.jpeg

http://image.space.rakuten.co.jp/lg01/01/0000388901/86/img6517e260vgww57.jpeg

The only cheap way to get a CNC would be to DIY it.

It would be easier and cheaper to either:

1. steal a CNC machine

2. steal enough money to buy one

Either of these approaches is more likely to be successful that trying to DIY one. At least it would be for me. :eek:

OK, if the beef is with the difference between the Mk2's and Mk1's midrange, then I can somewhat understand the dislike of the Mk2.

I say 'somewhat' though, because to me whether I prefer the Mk1 or Mk2 at any moment can depend on the type of music or even the specific track being played. The more forward midrange of the Mk2 can make vocal's stand out more in some tracks, which can result in a more vivid or intimate type of experience. This is also the case with the O2's vs. the HE90 or SR-Omega, and depends mostly whether the track sounds better to me with the two latter headphones' larger soundstage and brighter sound.

Also, most other headphones's midranges are more different from the O2Mk1 than the O2Mk2. The HE90 and SR-Omega, just two examples, have different midrange tonality that can make some female vocalists sound higher pitched in comparison to the O2Mk1 or O2Mk2.

To me, dismissing the Mk2 so completely due to its midrange is like rejecting a beautiful, attractive, intelligent, good-hearted, understanding, compatible girl because her breasts aren't perfect compared to the "references" in certain adult publications. :P

To me it was all about the mids between the O2 Mk1 and Mk2, not the mid-bass hump which wasn't an issue for me. The Mk2 was much better with the earpad spring mod, but not totally. The mids still had more of a flavor of it's own as well as being more forward, but to me that made them a little richer and more intimate for some music. Even a little more alive at times. However, I could still tell the Mk2 were adding something to the music. My Jades have that same issue, but somehow have less etch and more transparency and sparkle. Neither one have never sounded as bad to me as Spritzer describes them, and I think Naamanf agrees with me on the Jade being enjoyable (but I wont ask him to admit it here).

Since I have a $1400 HD800 and a $2500 ZDT on order, something had to go. So, the Stax O2 Mk2 is now sold. That leaves me with O2 Mk1, HE60, Jade, Smegma Pro, SR-003, SR-001 modded, SR-Lambda, SR-5NB and SR-80. I think that is enough stats to keep me happy, although I will miss the Mk2 along with the ESP950 and Lambda Signature that I sold previously.