Part Sourcing Assistance/Advice Thread

n_maher

8 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

Can anyone recommend a nice portable HD microscope to go with my new far-sightedness for soldering?

I purchased a cheap rebranded scope from amazon one a few years back for smd and pcb inspection It looks identical to this one:

https://amscope.com/collections/student-microscopes-low-power-stereo/products/se420xyz-2l

it works. My only complaints are

1. it does not have a zoom

2. its not trinocular so you can't add a camera look through it at the same time

3. there is no real X and Y adjustment. instead it pivots around which makes moving around a pcb a bit of a pain.

4. because the objective lenses are housed in a rectangular box you cant fit a ring light easily.

5. the objective lenses are not a "standard" mount and that limits you options for different lenses

Edited by jamesmking

14 hours ago, jamesmking said:

I purchased a cheap rebranded scope from amazon one a few years back for smd and pcb inspection It looks identical to this one:

https://amscope.com/collections/student-microscopes-low-power-stereo/products/se420xyz-2l

it works. My only complaints are

1. it does not have a zoom

2. its not trinocular so you can't add a camera look through it at the same time

3. there is no real X and Y adjustment. instead it pivots around which makes moving around a pcb a bit of a pain.

4. because the objective lenses are housed in a rectangular box you cant fit a ring light easily.

5. the objective lenses are not a "standard" mount and that limits you options for different lenses

Do you use it for inspection or for assembly?

1 hour ago, luvdunhill said:

Do you use it for inspection or for assembly?

bit of both. working distance is ok for either a hot air handle or a soldering iron.

It takes some getting used to since you have a fixed defined viewing circle, you can't move your head and have to organise everything around that. 

I personally found that exact head positioning was very critical to get a good 3d perspective view and this meant I wanted to minimise the number of times I looked up away from the microscope.

Edited by jamesmking