The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

3 hours ago, blessingx said:

Ya don’t see crematory/cemetery concert sponsors everyday! 

You jest, but the organizers (would like to) thanked their sponsors, for making this (creekside Fridays) possible, and noted they were "just up the road, if you need their services"

https://www.fernwood.com/ 

"Synergy",  and knowing your target demographic, I presume.

That, or it's a tax write off.

• Haha 3

Hello Belvedere (or "The Island" as it's residents call it based on an overheard conversation: "and how are things on 'The Island'")

We arrived early enough to get good sight lines behind the sound/mixing  desk

PXL_20240616_223102264.jpg

The 27th summer season of Concerts in the Park 

Began with the Marin men's chorus and their sea shanties.

PXL_20240616_230018900.NIGHT.jpg

And then the headliners

"you should be dancing"

who had everyone on their feet

PXL_20240616_232308955.jpg

Except, possibly, those who'd bought their own chandelier (well this is Belvedere, after all)

PXL_20240616_235919627.jpg

Impressive falsetto!

Edited by Grahame

I watched the whole thing.  I have very mixed feelings about it, as I do with everything related to Pantera.  Since I first heard "Heresy" on college radio in 1990, I've loved Dimebag's riffs.  I have never particularly liked Phil Anselmo and my opinion hasn't exactly improved in the last 34 years.  When I heard a few years ago that Phil was going start performing live as Pantera, my reaction was not a good one.  "Are you serious?  What kind of disgusting cash grab is this?  Can you piss on Dime and Vinnie's graves any harder?"  I didn't GAF in the slightest that he had Rex back.  Rex, bless his heart, has always been the least interesting member of the band.  Then I heard Phil hired Zakk Wylde to play guitar, and Charlie Benante on drums.  Charlie has quietly been the engine of Anthrax for nearly 40 years now, along with his nephew Frank on bass.  Zakk needs no introduction.  Nothing is ever going to make me like Phil, but I became at least open minded to the idea a live version of Pantera.

The above video is both kind of what I expected and quite a bit different.  Zakk's guitar tone is kind of awful, but that is (in all seriousness) a proper tribute to Dime.  The best description of Cowboys From Hell I ever heard was "the best worst guitar tone."  Certainly, Zakk has full command of Dime's riffs and solos.  Similarly, Charlie's drumming is on point but to my ears he sounds poorly mixed.  The drums might have sounded great coming out of the stage PA, but in my headphones they sound a bit anemic.  Phil somehow sounds worse than I remember.  With all of that said, the energy the band puts out is impressive and the crowd is clearly really into it.

• Like 1

Karen and I went to what was SUPPOSED to be a comedy night at a local farm, but apparently there was an over-abundance of entertainment.  We missed some of the magician's act, but we were able to catch this fine gent doing karaoke-style vox, complete with requisite open shirt and gold chain 🤣.  Cheesy to say the least (though his voice wasn't too bad).

Lounge Lizard.jpg

• Like 3

A quick soundcheck at the Tam Valley Community center 

PXL_20240713_003721659.jpg

And the Fog City Swampers are Rock 'n Rollin'

PXL_20240713_012329176.jpg

Getting members of the Tam Valley Community up on their feet.

Great Backdrop to the venue.

PXL_20240713_020810101.MP.jpg

And everybody gets a free backstage pass!

PXL_20240713_021338375.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...