The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

I'd see She & Him again in a heartbeat, excellent show all around. I think I've under appreciated both Ward and Zooey's talents until now. But damn I came away from that show really impressed.

Camera Obscura's sound was a little off. I didn't sense as much emotion from their lead singer as she has on their recordings, which was a shame. The lead guitar and trumpet were spot-on though. Would see them again, but they definitely didn't bring it like She & Him.

fsxlX90.jpg

Preservation Hall Jazz Band. And the bartender could not make a Sazerac. Music is making up for it though.

Love me some PHJB! Seen them so many times now I've lost count.

In a world where music fans crave authenticity, it doesn't get more real than PHJB.

Or Neil Young & Crazy Horse.

• 4 weeks later...

First night of Lollapalooza 2013 is just about done. Finishing with Nine Inch Nails. Good mix of ambient and club-like stuff with his industrial. Must be some new stuff here, I haven't heard the newest album yet.

Btw, if anyone likes Crystal Castles, they had an amazing set and were easily my favorite of the day. Don't miss 'em live!

First night of Lollapalooza 2013 is just about done. Finishing with Nine Inch Nails. Good mix of ambient and club-like stuff with his industrial. Must be some new stuff here, I haven't heard the newest album yet.

Btw, if anyone likes Crystal Castles, they had an amazing set and were easily my favorite of the day. Don't miss 'em live!

awesome to hear man glad you are at lolla. i've never been, but would like to make all of the Big 4 before its over with. Already done bonnaroo a few times, need to make coach, lolla, and acl. 

I also make jazzfest every year, which just misses out being in the big 4. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Second set was as good, if not better than, the first. Blue Sky, a stellar Dreams and an awesome cover of Into the Mystic. All in all a great show. I think what most amazed me wasn't the crushing guitar work - I expected that. It was Greg Allman's voice. With all of the health problems he has had over the last few years, I expected his range to be restricted as many older singers are. Instead, he sounded like it was At The Fillmore East all over again. Several times during the show I looked at Debbie in astonishment at how strong he sounded.

But, as great of a show as it was, it was partially ruined by inconsiderate cunts (TM Voltron Enterprises). After having two guys behind us talk through the first 5 songs loud enough that they were competing with the guitars, I turned around and asked them if they would be talking through every song and if so, why they paid what they did for their tickets. They apologized and shut up. Two songs later, the woman sitting next to Debbie sees someone she knows and now it's family-fucking-reunion time. For two songs they talk and partially block Debbie's view. Finally Debbie had had enough and told them "We came to listen to the band, not you two talk!" They stopped. And then her and her date/husband/pimp/whatever moved a seat over to separate themselves from us. I told Debbie we should have moved right back next to them. Assholes.

This has happened to us at the last few bigger venue shows we've gone to and it is making me question whether I will attend any more of these bigger shows. 

But in the end, the band was awesome and we came away loving the show. And tomorrow I'll have flac files that will have no talking audible.

Second set was as good, if not better than, the first. Blue Sky, a stellar Dreams and an awesome cover of Into the Mystic. All in all a great show. I think what most amazed me wasn't the crushing guitar work - I expected that. It was Greg Allman's voice. With all of the health problems he has had over the last few years, I expected his range to be restricted as many older singers are. Instead, he sounded like it was At The Fillmore East all over again. Several times during the show I looked at Debbie in astonishment at how strong he sounded.

But, as great of a show as it was, it was partially ruined by inconsiderate cunts (TM Voltron Enterprises). After having two guys behind us talk through the first 5 songs loud enough that they were competing with the guitars, I turned around and asked them if they would be talking through every song and if so, why they paid what they did for their tickets. They apologized and shut up. Two songs later, the woman sitting next to Debbie sees someone she knows and now it's family-fucking-reunion time. For two songs they talk and partially block Debbie's view. Finally Debbie had had enough and told them "We came to listen to the band, not you two talk!" They stopped. And then her and her date/husband/pimp/whatever moved a seat over to separate themselves from us. I told Debbie we should have moved right back next to them. Assholes.

This has happened to us at the last few bigger venue shows we've gone to and it is making me question whether I will attend any more of these bigger shows. 

But in the end, the band was awesome and we came away loving the show. And tomorrow I'll have flac files that will have no talking audible.

On the Jazzfest board we called them CFWs, or chatting fuck wits. I see a lot of live music and its always my number one complaint. 

I'm glad you confronted both CFWs, and glad they shut up. 

In other news, closing out summer tour next week with a trip to Denver to see three nights of Phish at Dicks Sporting Goods Park. I've never even been to Colorado, incredibly excited.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from the Monterey Jazz Festival and it didn't disappoint.

Highlights for me was Dave Holland's band Prism with Kevin Eubanks, Craig Taborn and Eric Harland. Heavy fusion influence and all of the players absolutely smoked!

Just before them (on Saturday night) Joe Lovano (who was this year's artist in residence) Dave Douglas Quintet played an awesome set which included a commissioned composition by Wayne Shorter.

Joe also played with his regular band "Us Five" and just torn the place up. The two drummers and the way they "conversed" with each other was stunning!

Sunday night Wayne Shorter's Quartet played. Lots of material I hadn't heard and the guys were in the best form I've ever heard them. Amazing!

Friday night Gregory Porter started the weekend sounding great and had the crowd eating out of his hand.

That was followed by the Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Orchestra that played a commissioned piece dedicated to Dave Brubeck. There was lots of Brubeck tributes since Dave has been a regular at the festival (I think I've seen him 8 times there).

I attended some great talks but the best was a conversation with Lou Donaldson. He was so funny as he talked about his life in jazz.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing Phantogram at the Vic on the north side of Chicago tonight. We're watching the opening act, Future Islands, as I write this and I honestly can say this is the fucking weirdest band I've ever heard. They are straight synth pop, but the vocalist is doing a combination of a Fat Albert impersonation and death metal growls. All while dancing around the stage like he's in a ska band. I seriously can't tell if this whole act is a joke or not, but Allison and I are laughing our asses off at how bad this is.