The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

• 3 weeks later...

Paavo Jarvi's farewell concert. i don't care for Mahler, but it was a pretty lively performance.

Don't care for Mahler? FFFuuuuuuuuu

Well, the 5th isn't a favorite.

BTW, anyone heard from Posty since the tornadoes (thread reminded me of him, since he often posts concerts)?

Edited by Pars

Halou's Wiser show was glorious. I was in heaven for an hour or so. They must have rehearsed the shit out of it, because she hit every single note spot on. The chick from Unwoman (on cello) was astoundingly cute, too (Rebecca was gorgeous), and Patrick the drummer was groovin' with a groovy groove, and Ryan was in an inordinately good mood that was just contageous. And the violinist and double-bassist were very good, too.

So glad I came, so glad I went.

Well, Mahler was about as late romantic period as you can get, so I suppose one could view his music as being somewhat emo.

One doing so would, of course, be wrong :)

I can see as a woodwind player, seated in front of the brass section, that Mahler might not be a favorite to perform...

Nice, Mike. You had told me about that venue before ... it really does look intimate!

How did she pull off the layering effect? Did she accompany herself via digital recording?

Footpedals to vary recording through the MacBook Pro to her lower left. It was a very cool process similar to Fripp's Soundscape stuff.

If you watch that video of her appearance on whatever that radio show was at google, they go over it quite a bit -- she can basically control every layer independently, except they're all synced up.

Me: Anathema (just Vinny and Danny doing an acoustic set with looping) and Blackfield -- was an awesome show, I actually like their (Blackfield's) slower stuff better than Porcupine Tree's (I find PT's slowest stuff "sleepy", whereas Blackfield's is not). The Anathema set ruled. Real interesting rendition of Broken, and they played all excellent songs. Also, the best I've ever heard the 9:30 club, due to acoustic sets not having a whole lot of bass to fuck up).

Greatest opening to a concert I've been to in a while (the voice-over is not from the album, but from the point of "Stop it...stopic...stopit...", it was pure bliss, so the contrast was kind of amusing -- sort of the opposite of 'managing expectations'):

Yes, that's my shaved-ish pate popping into and out of the lower right hand corner. And yes, there's a very cute girl in front of me and to my left -- she keeps showing up against Rebecca's skirt as red-haired.

• 3 weeks later...

63b9169e-a51f-b1e3.jpg

Last night I saw Sarah Jarosz at Slim's, a small club opened by Boz Scaggs. Claire and I met up with Shelly and her hubby Tim, and we had dinner during the two opening acts -- first one good, second bad. From the first notes played and sang, it was clear that Sarah is talented beyond her 20 years. We went down to the floor and got up close and enjoyed every moment. Her voice is even better live than on her two fine albums, and she played 6-string and 8-string guitar, 5-string banjo, and a mandolin beautifully. She was accompanied by a cello player who played it as a bass quite often, and a fiddle/mandolin player. They were both fine musicians as well. There were almost as many instrumental numbers as those with vocals, and even though I loved her voice the instrumentals were awesome (a word she used often in describing SF, her band mates, the crowd, and anything else she likes). Good stuff and highly recommended if you have a chance to her. I am sorry I didn't think to mention it to Ric, with his affinity for female vocalists, so next time she is in town (this was her first SF show) we should be there.

Edited by Voltron

• 2 weeks later...