Apple Tablet

Finally had a chance to check out the ipad at the apple store downtown chicago, we stayed overnight after watching a show. I loved it, and can definitely see myself using it as my sole tool for internet and email, plus all the other stuff it has.

The thing is pretty blazing fast, going from menu to menu and screen to screen, as well as entering and exiting programs and safari was like lightning. I do extremely well with the keyboard. And of course I love how the general interface is incredibly intuitive.

Challenge is convincing the wife to get me one for my birthday next week :)

Ryan, you need this for work. There was that program mentioned a while back (or in iPad apps thread?) in which you can download sheet music. Then you can put it on a stand and conduct with it! :-)

Holy batman that is pretty freaking sick. Will need to investigate and add to list for convincing wife.

Oh my. You can upload your own PDF's. I literally can scan whatever I want from my choral library (which is quite extensive) and upload it all to an ipad. I think I am going to faint.

Edited by recstar24

1) That's really pushing what I would consider a general understanding of "late April." The "VERY LAST DAY OF APRIL" would have been more like it.

2) Further to Ryan's comment above, to what extent can the iPad be used as a PDF repository. For example, could I easily store all my user manuals on it?

2) Further to Ryan's comment above, to what extent can the iPad be used as a PDF repository. For example, could I easily store all my user manuals on it?

Depends ... just do the math. Figure out how much storage space you'll need for "all my user manuals" and see if it fits in the 16/32/64gb space along with music, apps, photos, videos, etc.

I don't see why not. I just opened a free 2G sized www.dropbox.com account and plan to store documents of all types on the iPad by dumping files on my computer into the dropbox folder, and expect it to magically appear in my iPad.

Another vote for Goodreader. It can access files stored on Dropbox, MobileMe, IMAP or POP3 mail servers, Google Docs, box.net, webdav, ftp servers....etc.

It just allows you to view docs though, not edit.

I've been using it a lot and it's great for a lot of the reference policy docs I might want to reference at a meeting. It's come in handy already. You download and store docs on the device, but you can erase them to make more room. Since you're accessing docs in the cloud somewhere, there isn't a storage concern unless you're not going have wireless access.

I'm seeing reports of CC's getting charged today for 3G iPads so I expect some of you will see similar things happening shortly.

Yep, already happened. Posting this from an iPad at BestBuy. Keyboard is really quite good and the browser is peppy on wifi.

i wonder if the devices will become more differentiated when OS 4.0 is released.

I wonder. As exact as Apple display encouragement seems to be, guess it all comes down to how focused the resolution independence/density independent pixel design is handled in the future iPhone/iPad OS version. Will be interesting to see how Android handles this also.