cheep balanced DAC?

Smeggy

Considering how awesome the 2 channel EHHA amp is and how cheap the kits are I have been considering going balanced (if balanced actually sounds better, seems to be differing opines on this) what is a decent balanced USB (pc only) DAC that is cheap as dog poo?

The Gamma 2 with mods will do it but we still don't have a price or date on that yet and the Buffalo is over what I can afford. Would a balanced opus with a USB receiver do well enough? I've never heard a balanced rig so I don't know if they're worth the extra or not.

Would a balanced opus with a USB receiver do well enough? I've never heard a balanced rig so I don't know if they're worth the extra or not.

A balanced OPUS can be done very cheaply for just USB functionality. Though TPA is phasing out the USB board, has no stock, and as such it would be pretty difficult to put together :(

can't a gamma 1 usb board do the job?

Yes, it could. I am actually BOM'ing up a y1 USB-SPDIF right now because of my inability to get the TPA module. It comes out VERY cheap if you are going to direct wire the SPDIF to something else...... under $30.

I have no idea where I am going to mount it in my case though. It is frustrating-close-but-yet-so-far-away from the standard footprint of TPA modules :confused:

Music Direct is selling a demo PS Audio DLIII for $599 right now. Smashing deal but it's unknown how many quantities there are and how long the pricing will last so you better grab it quick! MUSICDIRECT - PS AUDIO - DIGITAL LINK III DAC Digital to Analog Converter **DEMO**

I got an email about an additional 10% off demos but am not sure how that factors in. You could always give them a call.

For really bargain basement you could probably pick up an EMU0404 usb for around $150. I'm not sure if it's truly balanced or using some opamp shenanigans.

$150 is a good deal. I'm betting on opamp shenanigans, considering, but it's pretty handy nonetheless.

I mean, honestly, you're getting a DAC with USB/Coax/Spdif input, Coax/Spdif output, two analog inputs (SE or balanced) with variable gain, Dual outputs (one balanced), a 24/192 ADC, and a seperately adjustable headamp in one box. Surely, that's useful for something you hoodlums do.

The EMU0404 USB has the AK4396 chip in the DAC (the same chip of the Transporter), this chip has a balanced output.

I have a EMU0404 USB and a DacMagic (I made a preorder of a Buffalo32S DAC :) ). I prefer the DacMagic, I can't tell us why I prefer this DAC because it's very difficult to me speak in your language, for me the DacMagic is more "musical" and detailed.

IMHO the EMU it's a very good choice for 150$.

-- o --

Rodrigo

^^^

Understood. I'd argue that the balanced output from the 0404 doesn't sound like crap, but there are those who'd disagree with me.

I wouldn't use it as my end-all-be-all source in a balanced rig (or any rig), but if you purchased it for SE use then later upgraded your amp, it serves as a very effective stopgap.

It's a better SE source at $150 than most. That it also does balanced is just icing to me.

The DACMagic sounds very good balanced as long as the input is not USB. Coax and toslink sound about equal coming from the transporter. USB sounds worse than toslink coming out of the MAC mini. That was based on my listening before the stereophile review and measurements.

As it stands, to go balanced on the amp side will cost approx $130 so balancing the amp is affordable as I already have connectors and such and even then I'm not sure balancing will really make much of a difference as opinions very on this.

Going cheap on the DAC is not something I want to do, I'm always buried in bills and toy money is limited. Balancing the amp is affordable, a good (expensive) DAC is not at this point but may be in the future so for now I need to cheapskate it to see if it'll be worth going up later. This is why I'm still considering modding the pico to balanced even though it would likely end up like this> :stick:

No spare cash, that simple really. It took me nearly a month to scrape $250 together for another audio thingy :)

Would prolly go for a opus dac if they were ever in stock

Edited by Smeggy

Guest sachu

Would prolly go for a opus dac if they were ever in stock

Man..if only you had evinced interest a coupleof days ago.

I had dibs on a balanced OPUS DAC from cantsleep for 120$ shipped.

I even had a case ready for it along with connectors. I just decided not to go for it as I never plan to go balanced.

If only I knew you wanted to go balnaced would've picked it up for you.