Ye Macce Threade

you dont NEED a docking station. the apple cinema display has those nifty connectors where you can just plug it into the macbook pro/air (no charger needed for mb. and viola! dual monitors. i dont know what would be needed for laptop + 2 monitors or if it could even be done. but given how flexible laptops are these days you can certainly get away without one. i only really feel the need for a big ass usb dongle. usually have 5-6 quad drive bays plugged in at any time, plus a usb mouse and the emotiva dac via usb. other than that, i dont really use any other ports. vga out to my 21" lcd. quite like the set up.

I think Shelly was referring to a Mac Pro, the big one with two xeon processors and all, not a MBP, so no docking station needed, I guess.

Indeed I was... not exactly portable at ~40lbs but a nice machine.

I feel so inadequate, my Mac Pro only has 8 cores and my dual monitors are only 25" :(

Me too except I only have dual 20"ers. :(

My 500GB external drive is filling up. So I want to get a 1 TB drive. That seems to be the right price point because I'll need two (one for backup). Unfortunately, the damn enclosures I'm using have a chipset that supports IDE not SATA. Not sure what I was thinking there. I'm thinking of just buying 2 pre-built external drives. I haven't done this in a while, but some of the mfrs. market their drives as Mac-specific. Is this bs? I forget. What do I need to look for?

I have had no problem buying non-Mac hard drives and just formatting them. If there is some fancy software used to monitor the hard drive or something there might be reason to buy the Mac version but for normal HDs I cannot see any reason.

Ric hipped me to the new MBP with the amazing Thunderbolt tech (formerly Light Peak). This shit looks like it's going to be cool. Plus, it has a thunderbolt on all connectors so our own god of Thunder in Iceland will have to get on this bandwagon. :lol:

MBP with Thunderbolt!

Starting with Lion, Mac OS Server is part of the core OS. Apple - Mac OS X Lion

Lion sounds bitchin' and the new Air coming this summer (I hope) is going to rule! It better have a Thunderbolt connector too, dammit!

Edited by Voltron