Ye Macce Threade

if those machines had 2 GB you'd be singing that tune backwards. :)

I agree, but we have one machine with 8 GB and it doesn't appear to run any ether than the machines with 4 GB. My MB (first aluminum MB) has 4 GB and a lesser processor than the iMacs and it struggles with Paralells.

The software in question is MacFUSE. You will also need NTFS-3G. I used this combination extensively in 2008 when my primarily Wintel blew up. Bottom line: It's really good at reading NTFS drives, and so-so at writing to them. Small writes are fine, but large (multi-gigabyte) ones can be problematic. YMMV.

Knuckles those were the two programs I read about.

I figured I would go with a 15" Mbp. The resolution on the 13" makes me angry. It will weigh a bit more than my current thinkpad but not by much perhaps. the glossy screens seem to be reviewed very poorly in terms of usability so I guess I have to resort to paying for the premium anti glare option. If only amazon carried the confit I wanted with the anti glarescreens :( ordering from apple gives me a student discount which is then offset by the sales tax they charge. Also I miss free 2 day shipping from amazon. Going to call amazon tomorrow and see if they take special orders like these or maybe have a piece lying around doing nothing.

I agree, but we have one machine with 8 GB and it doesn't appear to run any ether than the machines with 4 GB. My MB (first aluminum MB) has 4 GB and a lesser processor than the iMacs and it struggles with Paralells.

Any way you could find out what processor it is in particular so I know to avoid it for certain? pretty please good sir :)

Any way you could find out what processor it is in particular so I know to avoid it for certain? pretty please good sir :)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 @ 2.4 ghz. I should add that I am already running boot camp so I do not need Parallels. I don't know if that creates any problems when I tried Parallels in the past.

I think the idea is that you have to replace your computer every two years when the permabattery inevitably fails. More profitable. Gets the wheels of production going. Good for everyone :D

(the Permakeyboard and PermaDVD on my macbook pro has failed already. but those are not neccesary parts of the computer, like the battery.)

I think the idea behind a fixed battery is that it would outlive the life cycle of the computer.

Edited by DefectiveAudioComponent

The permabattery is to stop people scamming apple when some un-authorised third-party one screws up the computer and the owner puts the original battery back in and attempts to make a warranty claim. If you ever wonder why Apple seems to be extremely inconsiderate when it comes to matters such as batteries and upgrades, it is because of issues from third party replacement parts and fraud, more often than not. Customers almost always blame Apple when their machine goes wrong, regardless if it is the fault of something they installed, either hardware or software.

As for screens, get the matte. Glossy looks impressive until you are sitting somewhere with lights behind you, then it looks annoying.

totally the opposite. with the glossy screen you can just adjust the angle to get the glare out of the way, whereas matte screens tend to grey out. i was completely on the side of matte screens until Apple accidentally replaced a matte screen equipped MBP they fubared with one that had a glossy screen. took a week to get used to it, and then i never looked back.

^^^ This. Also used to be a matte fanboi, but now it's glossy FTW.

^^^^ 3rd this. Glossy only sucks in bright sun, but any screen will, so no loss. As Jacob said, took a few days to adapt, but then never looked back or regretted. I think the premium for glossy isn't because it's "better", but because it costs Apple more because of the pita factor once they standardized on glossy.

jacob, jim and gene say glossy. good enough for me. its 50 bucks cheaper too so yeah. one fellow grad students laptop just died so i might be selling my thinkpad to him if he cant find a good deal in the next week. if that happens, ill order the 15" mbp right away. if not, i just have to wait until the 7th to place the order.

thank you gents.

ps. i feel dirty doing this - first an iphone. then mba for mom (now sister's). then ipad for mom. then mbp for dad and now mbp for me.

Edited by crappyjones123

Cj, welcome to the dark side. There is no turning back now. I'm waiting for a MBA upgrade to see if they give the 11.6" more processor power. I also may just go 13" since I will have an iPad as well. I have found since owning the iPad, as much as I like it, I still prefer my MBP when home. I want the same ease of use, in terms of typing but without the weight. Besides, the MBA's are just cool.